Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes LRX - 77 gr

Feedback Score

Barnes LRX - 77 gr

I was poking around and saw that Barnes has an all-copper "LRX" that looks like the TTSX, but it's 77 gr. I couldn't find much around here, does anyone have experience with this bullet? Seems like they combined everyone's favorite attributes. I'm very new to this so if this isn't even feasible for an AR I apologize.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/lrx/
    Last edited by ChrisM516; 07-26-23 at 19:14.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Interesting. I wonder if it's designed to be effective at lower velocities associated with long ranges. E.g., a deer at 400 yards when being fired out of a 16" AR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I refuse to post in an All Copper Bullet thread!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I refuse to post in an All Copper Bullet thread!
    But didn't you just.........nevermind

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    But didn't you just.........nevermind
    Had to do it!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if it's designed to be effective at lower velocities associated with long ranges. E.g., a deer at 400 yards when being fired out of a 16" AR.
    I think that is exactly Barnes’ intent with their LRX line. As a bonus, perhaps it will extend the range of effective expansion from an SBR.

I think the LRXs are designed to expand down to 1600fps as opposed to 1800-2000 from the standard TSX/TTSX. This is similar to what they did for the 300blk; their 110 grain blacktip was specifically designed for its lower velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    I think that is exactly Barnes’ intent with their LRX line. As a bonus, perhaps it will extend the range of effective expansion from an SBR.

I think the LRXs are designed to expand down to 1600fps as opposed to 1800-2000 from the standard TSX/TTSX. This is similar to what they did for the 300blk; their 110 grain blacktip was specifically designed for its lower velocity.
    This is what it looks like. It looks like a grand slam on paper but I hadn't heard of it, so I thought I must be missing something here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    This is what it looks like. It looks like a grand slam on paper but I hadn't heard of it, so I thought I must be missing something here.
    I’m hoping for an LRX load for my 6ARC. It’d make a nice pair with a factory 77 gr LRX 5.56 load for my SBRs.

C’mon Barnes, bring it!

Feedback Score
    Barne s77 Grain LRX

This issue that you’re going to run into with loading the Barnes 77 grain LRX for a 5.56/223 Remington AR-15 is that the 77 grain LRX is not really a magazine length bullet. A cartridge overall length of approximately 2.330” is needed to keep the ogive of the bullet above the case mouth.

Sure, you could seat the bullet to 2.260”, but the ogive of the bullet will be below the case mouth and you’ll be chewing-up a large amount of powder capacity.

Last edited by Molon; 11-08-23 at 17:19.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Barne s77 Grain LRX

This issue that you’re going to run into with loading the Barnes 77 grain LRX for a 5.56/223 Remington AR-15 is that the 77 grain LRX is not really a magazine length bullet. A cartridge overall length of approximately 2.330” is need to keep the ogive of the bullet above the case mouth.

Sure, you could seat the bullet to 2.260”, but the ogive of the bullet will be below the case mouth and you’ll be chewing-up a large amount of powder capacity.

Awesome info Molon, thank you! I figured there must be something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast