Thread: MOE SL stock leaf spring change??

Feedback Score

MOE SL stock leaf spring change??

quick question. Has Magpul dropped one of the leaf springs from the MOE SL carbine stock? I know that the SL-K and the SL-S had some of the springs dropped, but I noticed that I bought 3 of the MOE SL (normal SL's) stocks from Lanbos and they all came with only one leaf spring, not dual like my old ones.

I haven't bought an SL stock since last year, but just wanted to verify and see if it was something magpul did or an "oopsie" on their part (though I doubt an oopsie as I got 3 stocks with 3 different colors and they all were identical)

Feedback Score
    well, just as an update for people who might see this in the future

I talked to Magpul tech support today. It IS a permanent design change. His exact words were "we found that two springs was not always compatible with some aftermarket buffer tubes and would be too stiff with two springs. So we changed it to one spring going forward"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Good info. I prefer the Magpul SL for general use.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    well, just as an update for people who might see this in the future

I talked to Magpul tech support today. It IS a permanent design change. His exact words were "we found that two springs was not always compatible with some aftermarket buffer tubes and would be too stiff with two springs. So we changed it to one spring going forward"
    Wow, sounds like they are just being cheap. Thanks, now I know not to sell any of my 2 spring SL stocks.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Wow, sounds like they are just being cheap. Thanks, now I know not to sell any of my 2 spring SL stocks.
    I think it's less about being cheap, and more about trying to sell more stocks. The SL has always been the tightest of the magpul stocks, so much so that there's been complaints for years about it not fitting well on some tubes, or needing so much force to adjust the stock that it takes 2 hands and your weight on the ground. My guess is they got tired of fielding questions of "why won't this stock fit?" when they get a bufer tube that's sligthly thicker than normal, and just took that one spring out to give less resistance.

I've never had a problem with it being TOO tight being that I get tubes from BCM, Sionics and VLTOR, but I HAVE heard those complaints for the better part of 10 years. People finding out that it won't fit their buffer tube well, or that it stupid tight if their tube is slightly thicker