Thread: Beretta 92XI SAO

Feedback Score

Beretta 92XI SAO

I'm a Beretta fan, but don't care for the 92's backwards rotating slide mounted safety. Literally for decades people have wanted Beretta to offer an affordable 92 variant with a frame mounted safety. It's my opinion that by not providing this option, Beretta allowed CZ and others to eat into their market share. Now that Beretta is finally offering a more affordable 92 variant with a proper frame mounted safety, I decided that I had to get one. This particular version came with a single action only trigger. I prefer the same trigger pull from the first to the last shot, so I'm on board with this. Upon looking at the pistol, my first impression is that the fit and finish are excellent. I couldn't find anything to complain about. It was made in Tennessee. The fiber optic front sight is an upgrade over a plain white dot. The slide is machined to accept a red dot optic if that's your desire. The trigger reach is actually short compared to the other 92 variants that I own. I think it's a combination of the differently contoured grip and the single action trigger. I personally could do without the rail and front slide serrations because I don't use either and think that they take away from the appearance of the pistol. The height of the manual safeties does interfere with racking the slide a bit. It came with two 18rd magazines which were made by Mec-Gar in Italy. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That is a sexy blaster
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Italian gun made in Tennessee with Italian made magazines....said no one ever until now. Anyone know if one can tour the Tennessee factory?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought one of the Launch Editions. I really like it.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I put 50rds of Winchester NATO 124gr FMJ and 50rds of Geco 124gr FMJ through it today. Reliability was 100%. It was significantly more accurate than my other Beretta 92 variants. I love the fiber optic front sight. The surface of the grip panels is too rough. I definitely prefer rubber grips. Overall, this is a really nice pistol. I definitely prefer this pistol's frame mounted safety over the backwards rotating slide safety that other Berettas have. I'm looking forward to Beretta releasing a compact version.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I bought one of the Launch Editions. I really like it.

I bought one as well, and love it. I mounted a Mailbox of Death (Aimpoint ACRO P-2) and it's just a ridiculous amount of fun to shoot.

I ran it in Erick Gelhaus's Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor class, and it ran like a scalded Rottweiler: Big, fast and you'd better stay out of it's way.

Feedback Score
    I'd be on one of these in a hot minute if it wasn't for the Vertec grip. I don't like a flat grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The reason Beretta is putting Vertec grips on everything, is because there are a plethora of factory/aftermarket grips to put the hump right back on. My Vertec 96 has the Beretta Medallion grips that replicate the factory hump. It's a lot easier to put the hump on, than to take the hump off. Non-issue.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    The reason Beretta is putting Vertec grips on everything, is because there are a plethora of factory/aftermarket grips to put the hump right back on. My Vertec 96 has the Beretta Medallion grips that replicate the factory hump. It's a lot easier to put the hump on, than to take the hump off. Non-issue.
    Yup, you can buy grips that do exactly that. Plus you can shave them down a bit to make for a perfect fit.

Feedback Score
    That's a good point.