Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 62gr Fusion MSR vs 5.56mm 77gr Black Hills TMK

Feedback Score

.223 62gr Fusion MSR vs 5.56mm 77gr Black Hills TMK

One is "barrier blind" but at a .223 velocity. The other is not and runs at 5.56mm NATO pressures.

I know the usual choice is "get both" but if you had to pick one for slightly-more-than-home-defense purposes, which would it be?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In my view I see the 62 grain Fusion (or Gold Dot) as a superb sub-300 yd house cleaning round. The 77 TMK I view as a superb north of 300 yd round for neighborhood sanitation. Much depends on your platform, short barrels ergo shorter range engagements, and usually non-magnified Red Dot sights. Longer barrels ergo longer range engagements if your skill, barrel and magnified optics allows.

For what it worth I run the 62 grain Gold Dot handloaded to 5.56 pressure, and the 77 TMK in 5.56 pressure handloads or the 77 SMK in the form of IMI factory loads. I also handload the 77 Nosler CC to 5.56 pressures.

The 62's I run in my 16" GPR with Holosun Red Dot, and the 77 grainers in my 18" SPR with Trijicon 2-10x36mm scope.

For practice I run handloaded 68 grain Hornady's in both loaded to just over 223 Max pressure (light 5.56).

IMHO and YMMV
    Last edited by BobinNC; 08-09-23 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For HD, I would choose Fusion and I have been slightly impressed with its accuracy as well. I think it was another caliber but it shot well.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Fusion has impressed me in 7.62X39 and M1 carbine, accuracy-wise. Oddly I've never gel-tested in in .223 but we do test Federal Tactical Bonded twice a year and it's very good, I've been wondering if they are the same bullet. We shot some Fusion the other day from a Stag barrel and it was between 1.5 and 2 MOA.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This just in. The two bullets are both bonded 62's but are not the same bullet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gold Dot and Fusion share the same bullet.

I’m completely over chasing velocity and NATO pressure ammo. Running with less safety margin, really needing crimped primers, and “fragmentation range” are not as important when we have lower velocity opening bonded options. My opinion.

Unless you need the precision of heavy OTM, barrier blind is recommended for it’s more consistent terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    I personally run 62gr Gold Dot in my defensive guns, and the accuracy is decent. I like having a bonded barrier blind bullet with reliable expansion. If i was planning on doing most of my shooting past 200-300 yards, i might opt for the 77.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

.223 62gr Fusion MSR vs 5.56mm 77gr Black Hills TMK

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    One is "barrier blind" but at a .223 velocity. The other is not and runs at 5.56mm NATO pressures.

I know the usual choice is "get both" but if you had to pick one for slightly-more-than-home-defense purposes, which would it be?
    Comes down to barrel length IMHO. I prefer barrier blind, but if you're under 16", a 5.56 TMK load is formidable. If you're 16" or longer, go Fusion MSR.

I personally run 5.56 pressure Barnes 70gr TSX (Brown tip) in my 11.5" suppressed shorty, and Hornady 70gr GMX TAP 5.56 pressure in my Knights 16" mod2 SR15. Each pairing is at or below MOA. Both loads are *highly* effective on feral hogs up to 362lbs from my 11.5", in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-10-23 at 23:27.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

For your use, I would not let the 223 v 556 pressure factor into the decision. Unless you need to reach wayyyy out, the difference wouldn’t be material.

I’d stick with the barrier blind choice. If I remember the FBI tests, the TMKs don’t hold together as well as a bonded bulet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    The Fusion has impressed me in 7.62X39 and M1 carbine, accuracy-wise. Oddly I've never gel-tested in in .223 but we do test Federal Tactical Bonded twice a year and it's very good, I've been wondering if they are the same bullet. We shot some Fusion the other day from a Stag barrel and it was between 1.5 and 2 MOA.
    Hey Ned,

Do you do factory gel tests with Vista (or any other manufacturer), or do you do them on your own? I have a new range guy I am breaking in and would love to get him to a ballistics gel test demonstration.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast