Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBR questions...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    Much better to risk a $150 Title I lower than a $350 Title II lower in transit.
    This is a valid point. Although I'd find a local engraver in either case. If you check ARFcom's hometown forum for your state you can probably find a guy locally.

Once you're app is approved, you are really limited on which engravers you can send it to because it is legally an NFA weapon upon approval.

Feedback Score
    Find a CNC shop nearby. That's who did mine. Walked in, got it done, out in 30 minutes. They'll do it on a blank to make sure it's right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Chief, if you're willing to wade over into TOS, there is a long stickied thread there in the general NFA forum regarding Trusts. On page 13 (of 53 currently), a user named SWATH has posted images of the trust document that he used (generated using WillMaker and revised after consulting an attorney).

New guy here and interested in learning more about this subject. Can you tell me where TOS is?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Med View Post
    New guy here and interested in learning more about this subject. Can you tell me where TOS is?

Thanks.
    ar15.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ar15.com
    That's what I thought but I wasn't sure what the acronym TOS actually stood for. I'm sure it's not flattering :-)

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No... I just means The Other Site.

Feedback Score
    Speaking as an attorney, please use an attorney. People work hard to learn how to properly set up trusts and corporations, not to mention how to comply with local, state and federal firearms laws - it's complicated and there are issues to consider that premade forms can't help you with. If you have problems finding an attorney with firearms experience in state, call one out of state - they're on the internet - and see if he has a recommendation for you.

To steal a wise saying from someone else, if you're balking at the cost of hiring a lawyer to set up your NFA trust you might want to reconsider NFA as a hobby.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aful View Post
    Speaking as an attorney, please use an attorney. People work hard to learn how to properly set up trusts and corporations, not to mention how to comply with local, state and federal firearms laws - it's complicated and there are issues to consider that premade forms can't help you with. If you have problems finding an attorney with firearms experience in state, call one out of state - they're on the internet - and see if he has a recommendation for you.

To steal a wise saying from someone else, if you're balking at the cost of hiring a lawyer to set up your NFA trust you might want to reconsider NFA as a hobby.
    Nothing personal, but I have to say I've used attorneys for several situations over the years and I've always felt robbed when its over and I've paid hundreds for a piece of paper I could have drafted myself. I feel pretty strongly that an educated person could put a trust together with a little research. There is nothing secret about any of the laws governing this process.

Now I will say, if this document required processing through the courts then I would agree that a lawyer would be wise because that system is a disaster for a citizen to navigate. Designed that way I believe to keep attorneys employed

My rule of thumb has been if its something that doesn't involve the courts and an attorney is willing to do it for a few hundred dollars, then its probably something you could easily do yourself or they would charge a hell of a lot more since they had you by the cojones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Med View Post
    Nothing personal , but I have to say I've used attorneys for several situations over the years and I've always felt robbed when its over and I've paid hundreds for a piece of paper I could have drafted myself. I feel pretty strongly that an educated person could put a trust together with a little research. There is nothing secret about any of the laws governing this process...

My rule of thumb has been if its something that doesn't involve the courts and an attorney is willing to do it for a few hundred dollars, then its probably something you could easily do yourself or they would charge a hell of a lot more since they had you by the cojones.
    No offense taken, I've heard it all before. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences in the past. I apologize if this is off-topic, but it bears remembering that "not secret" doesn't equal uncomplicated, easy, or no consequences for an innocent oversight. Just my 2 cents.

There are two main reasons for getting a lawyer: 1) to help you in the courtroom, and 2) to stay out of the courtroom in the first place. I'm an educated person fully capable of complicated legal research and before I fool around with an NFA firearm I will pay for expert assistance for reason no. 2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aful View Post
    No offense taken, I've heard it all before. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences in the past. I apologize if this is off-topic, but it bears remembering that "not secret" doesn't equal uncomplicated, easy, or no consequences for an innocent oversight. Just my 2 cents.

There are two main reasons for getting a lawyer: 1) to help you in the courtroom, and 2) to stay out of the courtroom in the first place. I'm an educated person fully capable of complicated legal research and before I fool around with an NFA firearm I will pay for expert assistance for reason no. 2.

Sounds like good reasoning to me and I respect your position.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast