Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staccato for CCW and Aluminum vs Steel Longevity

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Ok I just wanted to give an update. I went a different direction.

I found a CS with DLC barrel, so I went ahead and jumped on it. It'll be a few weeks before I can even pick it up, but once I can put some ammo through it I'll share my thoughts. I went with the CS cause it looks to be between G19 and G43X sized, and I imagine Staccato will probably be switching over to CS mags with future designs (if I end up buying another bigger one later).

I have no 2011 mags yet, so hopefully my assumptions will come true and I can just stock up on CS mags.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I picked my CS with DLC barrel about a week ago now. So far I've only been able to put 640 rounds through it. I don't think there's much to say about how it shoots that hasn't been said already. It's easy. I haven't shot a P or C2 to compare my CS to, but it didn't seem "flippy" to me. I know that's subjective, but I thought the gun was easy to get back on target.

I will say I like the grip very much. Normally my hands get very sweaty and lots of grips like the Gen 5 G19 get a little slippery for me. The texture on the CS gives me no such problems. I *think* I wouldn't mind an even slightly more aggressive grip texture, but I don't know if that would take away from the comfort during carrying (I have been playing around with it in a Tenicor Certum3 AIWB).

So far I only lubed the gun once upon bringing it home as per the instructions they included. It now has 640 rounds through it with just that initial lubing and no cleaning. I had one fail to fire that I am pretty sure was crappy range ammo; it happened between 100 - 150 round mark, the primer had to be hit twice and it fired.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That’s pretty much how I felt. Glad your enjoying that fine weapon. PB

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I got it past 1000 rounds today; still going off the first initial lubing/no cleaning. No failures of any kind, and everything cycled smoothly with no signs of slowing. I'm going to get it cleaned up now, no reason to continue being lazy. My sample of one gives me no reason to doubt its reliability.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Is there some reason you’re deliberately NOT lubing pistol?
    Wanting to see how long you can go before it chokes?

Would you treat your vehicle that way?

Most firearms, if properly set up, will run Dirty and Wet. Dirty and Dry is usually a No Go.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Wouldn’t be my choice with a gun that's whole point is being tightly fitted and well-tuned. A Glock or M9, yeah, sure, I’ll lube it tomorrow, or next week or whenever. A Staccato? Nah, I’m going to maintain it like I bought it with my retirement check.

Though, the 2000 Round Challenges over on Pistolforum are a neat resource.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-10-23 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Is there some reason you’re deliberately NOT lubing pistol?
    Wanting to see how long you can go before it chokes?

Would you treat your vehicle that way?

Most firearms, if properly set up, will run Dirty and Wet. Dirty and Dry is usually a No Go.
    Eh I wouldn’t say I deliberately didn’t lube the pistol, it just kind of happened.

When I first brought it home, I lubed it exactly like their instructions said. The first range trip I put only 300 rounds through it, and less then a week later I went and put another 350ish through it.

After the second range trip I saw it was still plenty wet; a little dirty, but not dry by any means.

Yesterday I was trying out a new suppressor (on an AR), which ended up crapping out in less than two magazines. I wasn’t planning on shooting much pistol, but after driving 30 minutes one way and it now being rush hour traffic I just decided to shoot the CS a bit. Before I knew it I had another 360ish rounds through it.

Could I have been better about getting it cleaned up after the second range trip?

Yes, and normally I do not go this long without cleaning/relubing. Admittedly I have been lazier than I should be about cleaning, but I never run anything dry.

I can still see it’s not dry even now. Dirty for sure, and while there is a small part of me that really wants to see this bad boy make it to 2000, I won’t do that.

This the first experience I have with a 1911/2011. I do think it was pretty neat to see this gun shoot so well and see for myself that it’s not as finicky as most people would say these guns are.
    Last edited by w3453l; 10-10-23 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Damn now I have to clean my P DPO before I shoot it tonight. One reason it’s easy NOT to clean and lube is, when you cycle the slide it’s like butter all the time. But I’m going to field strip clean and lube it today.

I bought an OWB holster for my CS so I could shoot in matches to get quality reps in. It won’t get me practice in unholstering concealed but will get me reps I need.

PB

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have an old P that was an irons gun, 4.10” slide/barrel I believe.
    An STI gun. I refit barrel; recut barrel feet and filed/stoned barrel hood to spec. Accuracy before this was an unimpressive 2”+ for 5rds at 25 yds benched.
    Had Vulcan cut slide for optics and port barrel/slide.
    Installed a 508T Holosun after returned. It’s a 3/4” @ 25 yds/5 rds benched gun now.
    It lives in the security box of FJ and is a dedicated range/drills gun.
    The point? It’s detail stripped and cleaned maybe twice yearly, or every 6K rds+.
    I DO oil slide to frame and barrel at muzzle about every other range trip (I don’t oil barrel hood as barrel is DLC and by NOT oiling barrel hood optic lens stays a LOT cleaner).
    The only FTF has been my reloads with occasional upside down primer(s). It gets dirty as Hell, but properly lubed (Mobil 1) it still runs.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I picked my CS with DLC barrel about a week ago now. So far I've only been able to put 640 rounds through it. I don't think there's much to say about how it shoots that hasn't been said already. It's easy. I haven't shot a P or C2 to compare my CS to, but it didn't seem "flippy" to me. I know that's subjective, but I thought the gun was easy to get back on target.

I will say I like the grip very much. Normally my hands get very sweaty and lots of grips like the Gen 5 G19 get a little slippery for me. The texture on the CS gives me no such problems. I *think* I wouldn't mind an even slightly more aggressive grip texture, but I don't know if that would take away from the comfort during carrying (I have been playing around with it in a Tenicor Certum3 AIWB).

So far I only lubed the gun once upon bringing it home as per the instructions they included. It now has 640 rounds through it with just that initial lubing and no cleaning. I had one fail to fire that I am pretty sure was crappy range ammo; it happened between 100 - 150 round mark, the primer had to be hit twice and it fired.
    Thanks for the thoughts on the CS, I've been thinking about one but always carry my C2 and it seems close enough. I am jealous of the newer grip texture that comes on the modules for all Staccatos now, any stippling is probably not necessary on those.

Hope your CS is as great as my C2s been to me, 4800-5k rounds in the past 2 years of 147gr chubbies and 115gr reman and it's had one hiccup only with a blem round of reman that had super hard primers. Thrilled w the platform, not cheap but it just works. I wouldn't be concerned about the aluminum frames in any of them, I shoot locally with the guys that did my frame/slide work and they have a ton of rounds through the C2, P. No issues with the aluminum frame guns.

Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    I can still see it’s not dry even now. Dirty for sure, and while there is a small part of me that really wants to see this bad boy make it to 2000, I won’t do that.

This the first experience I have with a 1911/2011. I do think it was pretty neat to see this gun shoot so well and see for myself that it’s not as finicky as most people would say these guns are.
    I do the same, field strip it maybe every 500 or so at best, mainly I just make sure it's lubed. Been fine. I believe we both have the dual recoil spring assemblies though. The P's and higher have a different single spring I believe and I've seen those run a little slower and have RTB issues when very dirty (wet or dry).
    Last edited by munch520; 10-17-23 at 16:23.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast