Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help decide how to upgrade this old FSB Sabre Defence upper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Help decide how to upgrade this old FSB Sabre Defence upper

I have this old upper that I still like, it had one of the early Sabre Defence 1:7 CL mid-length barrels. For those who've been around long enough to recall, Sabre made good barrels back in the day. This one will spew lead downrange in vast quantities without overheating and without drifting beyond about 1.5 - 2.0 MOA, depending on ammo. It's still a great shooter. As pictured it has: BCM MK2 lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger, the Sabre Defence barreled upper, the Troy quad rail, LMT fixed rear sight, T2.

Trying to decide whether, or how, to upgrade this upper to bring it into the 21st century. The role it plays for me is it's my one remaining "KISS" rifle: fixed irons, with or without RDS. As shown with mounted T2, RVG, light, and rail covers, it weighs 8.2 lbs.

What I'd like to do ideally is...
    * Go on a diet, get the weight down another half a pound or so if possible with this heavier barrel, while keeping a VG of some type.
    * Upgrade the cheese grater Troy rail. Prefer an Mlok, and something that extends beyond the FSB to get any VG I use out a little farther.

What are good options to pull this off?

What I'm considering:
    * Centurion C4 Mlok rail mid cut ( https://centurionarms.com/c4-m-lok-rail-mid-cut/ ). This should get the weight down since I can lose the rail covers, plus the rail itself is light and extends about 2.25" beyond the current Troy rail.

H62WoBA.jpeg

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have Centurion rails on a couple 14.5 guns.
    Probably close to favorites. One is a LW/minimalist carbine that I seem to grab frequently due to light weight.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Midwest Industries has a cutout M-LOK midlength handguard.

Moving to either a Daniel Defense or Scalarworks fixed rear sight should save a bit more.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You’d be hard pressed to find a nicer rail that uses the standard barrel nut made by anybody but Centurion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man. I have this sabre defense 14.5 middy that will spin apart 55 gr Hornady soft point for some reason. I never did figure out why. My first SBR used an 11.5 Sabre that was MASSIVELY over-gassed. This was back before "we" understood port sizes. The bolt would outrun the mag follower it was going so fast. Off topic Sabre chat.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man. I have this sabre defense 14.5 middy that will spin apart 55 gr Hornady soft point for some reason. I never did figure out why.
    I think I remember you posting about that before. Did you ever check what the actual twist rate is?

My Sabre barrel has been an absolute champ and has put up with a lot of abuse over the years, but it's getting pretty long in the tooth. Wish I could have bought another.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Not going to lie, I love the way it's set up right now and wouldn't change a thing. But if you DO the Centurion rails, like others have said, are outstanding. I have two of their MLOK rails and two of their quad rails and honestly I would get the quad with the middy cut out. Not sure that meets your weight goals. Or, and here's a thought, send the barrel out for a chop to 11.5 and Form 1 it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Not going to lie, I love the way it's set up right now and wouldn't change a thing. But if you DO the Centurion rails, like others have said, are outstanding. I have two of their MLOK rails and two of their quad rails and honestly I would get the quad with the middy cut out. Not sure that meets your weight goals. Or, and here's a thought, send the barrel out for a chop to 11.5 and Form 1 it?
    If that's a midlength, I think the shortest you're going to be able to go is probably 12.5. The gas port will need to be drilled to 0.075-0.078 too if it isn't already there.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    If that's a midlength, I think the shortest you're going to be able to go is probably 12.5. The gas port will need to be drilled to 0.075-0.078 too if it isn't already there.
    Good point on the length. Wasn't thinking about that. 12.5 would still be cool and he won't give up all that much over the 14.5 IIRC.

Feedback Score
    I have a 24" heavy fluted SS Sabre Defense 1:8" that also would spin apart bullets of 50gr and less. Fiocchi Extrema 40gr V-Max you would see the lead powder.
    Last edited by SuperOmega; 08-28-23 at 13:02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast