Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Was there ever any proof regarding .38 Colt Long vs. .45 acp?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Intresting video on the 1902 pistol.
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eT6TVPbqcNs
    Neat!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am actually in the Philippines now and unless you have experienced jungle like this it's hard to imagine.
    Bamboo has joints every six inches or so, the slightest breeze and it starts rubbing together and it will confuse you as you move.
    Every Farm has barking Dogs and crowing Roosters that I would put up against any modern security system.
    Off the paths and trails there are no end of plants grabbing at your clothing and giving you a heck of a rash similar to poison ivy.
    No way anyone could patrol here unnoticed.
    You could take the cities, but beyond that it's a fight you don't want.
    I did see some old newspapers here in Antipolo reporting on the war. Very interesting.
    God Bless the poor bastards that fought here in wool uniforms.Today,Dec 10th was 94 degrees with at least 70% humidity.

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly Wild Bill Hickok loved his 1851 Colt Navy caliber 36. He killed people with them.

If you miss you only make noise and holes in the air.

All guns, even with good hits have failed to drop everyone 100% of the time. Such is life. Accuracy matters and shooting until they are down is the way to win fights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I am actually in the Philippines now and unless you have experienced jungle like this it's hard to imagine.
    Bamboo has joints every six inches or so, the slightest breeze and it starts rubbing together and it will confuse you as you move.
    Every Farm has barking Dogs and crowing Roosters that I would put up against any modern security system.
    Off the paths and trails there are no end of plants grabbing at your clothing and giving you a heck of a rash similar to poison ivy.
    No way anyone could patrol here unnoticed.
    You could take the cities, but beyond that it's a fight you don't want.
    I did see some old newspapers here in Antipolo reporting on the war. Very interesting.
    God Bless the poor bastards that fought here in wool uniforms.Today,Dec 10th was 94 degrees with at least 70% humidity.
    Yep, 3 years in Panama in an Infantry unit. It is an inhospitable environment for sure. Everything either wants to sting, bite, or kill you! NEVER just plop down on the ground.....poke around with the barrel of your rifle or a stick to ensure you're not sitting on anything that might do one of the previous things!

You're right, movement is a bitch. Usually there was a point man who would be hacking a narrow trail for the others to follow. Had to rotate that guy out every so often as the heat and humidity would wear your ass out quick. Of course this is for an Infantry unit moving through a given area, not a small recon team who relied on stealth for their survival, as that hacking was s-l-o-w and noisy. Those sneaky-petes generally picked their way (slowly) through the vegetation, making as little noise as possible.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I miss Kenny Roger's Roasters. Been gone twenty some years in the US but they exist in asia.

What is KRR like in P.I. these days?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    If I remember correctly Wild Bill Hickok loved his 1851 Colt Navy caliber 36. He killed people with them.

If you miss you only make noise and holes in the air.

All guns, even with good hits have failed to drop everyone 100% of the time. Such is life. Accuracy matters and shooting until they are down is the way to win fights.
    A miss with a 45ACP shot from a 1911 is like a good hit with any other caliber

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    John Hearne does a very interesting presentation on this topic. He delivered it at the Rangemaster Instructor Conference in Arkansas back in August. I'll ping John and ask him if he wants to share it here. Very fascinating stuff like all his research.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yep, 3 years in Panama in an Infantry unit. It is an inhospitable environment for sure. Everything either wants to sting, bite, or kill you! NEVER just plop down on the ground.....poke around with the barrel of your rifle or a stick to ensure you're not sitting on anything that might do one of the previous things!

You're right, movement is a bitch. Usually there was a point man who would be hacking a narrow trail for the others to follow. Had to rotate that guy out every so often as the heat and humidity would wear your ass out quick. Of course this is for an Infantry unit moving through a given area, not a small recon team who relied on stealth for their survival, as that hacking was s-l-o-w and noisy. Those sneaky-petes generally picked their way (slowly) through the vegetation, making as little noise as possible.
    Yup, extremely valid reasons that the Army put the schools there. If anyone has ever seen the Darien Gap, it's mind blowing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456