Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex vs Sig lpvo

Feedback Score
    'Preciate yall. Makin good sense.

Thoughts/experiences on VIPER® PST™ GEN II
    2-10X32 FFP? Does it draw good light and is reticle stout enough to use low light without illumination? Like getting close to sundown under trees in the southeastern deer woods/dark background? Especially towards 2x?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post

2-10X32 FFP? Does it draw good light and is reticle stout enough to use low light without illumination? Like getting close to sundown under trees in the southeastern deer woods/dark background? Especially towards 2x?
    The issue with the Vortex Viper 2-10x in my personal opinion is the non- locking turrets and the weight. I say this because I've hunted with a SWFA that had non-locking turrets and have had my turrets move on me when out in the woods, and when you dramatically shoot over a deer it can become infuriating. The weight of it seems to be more than other rivals, I think the PA 2.5-10x is the best budget option for the 2-10x range, but someone on here probably can give you other options
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score

I run the Viper PST Gen II 2-10 on my 12" 6.5 Grendel coyote gun, and it's a great scope. It has good glass with clear sight picture, good eye relief, and good clarity and resolution even in low light (but I'm hunting in Utah, so maybe not as dark as your southeastern deer woods). The turret clicks are fairly crisp (not Razor crisp though), and i like that it has an illuminated reticle. Mine has held up to a lot of abuse, and i was surprised how practical the 2-10 mag range is.

Feedback Score
    Ah, yes. Locking/non-locking turrets were of question, too.... and I'm actually happiest 2x low end as opposed to 1x.... Knobs pretty tight on my viper. Almost too tight. Sure wish I could actually hold that 2x10....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've considered the Gen II Viper PST 2-10 several times but I get stuck when I consider that for 1.9 more ounces I can step up to the 3-15x44.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Vortex vs Sig lpvo

I’ve never taken Sig optics seriously and doubt I ever will. There are plenty of good other options. My PST 1-6s might be heavy and have reticles that don’t impress, but the glass is good and they work.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-31-23 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    Have always joked that if my viper 1-6 rig was slung when I fell out of the boat, I would sink scope first to the bottom....

But I never realized the loss of field of view by going from 1x to 2x.... Or is it fair to compare the 1-6 and 2-10 vipers due to construction differences?

Strike Eagle Field 1-8x24 ffp of View 113.6-14.1 ft/100 yds

Viper 1-6
    Field of View 112.5-18.8 ft/100 yds

Viper 2-10 Field of View 58.3-11.7 ft/100 yds

Viper 3-15x44 ffp Field of View 41.2-8.6 ft/100 yds

Sig 1-10 fov at 100 120-12
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 09-01-23 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    Have always joked that if my viper 1-6 rig was slung when I fell out of the boat, I would sink scope first to the bottom....

But I never realized the loss of field of view by going from 1x to 2x.... Or is it fair to compare the 1-6 and 2-10 vipers due to construction differences?

Strike Eagle Field 1-8x24 ffp of View 113.6-14.1 ft/100 yds

Viper 1-6
    Field of View 112.5-18.8 ft/100 yds

Viper 2-10 Field of View 58.3-11.7 ft/100 yds

Viper 3-15x44 ffp Field of View 41.2-8.6 ft/100 yds

Sig 1-10 fov at 100 120-12
    If you're looking for the perfect optic, it just doesn't exist. I totally get it, I seem to own and run a variety on all my ARs, and the truth is that my favorite optic thus far is just a ACOG, mainly because it works, clear glass, and I haven't broken it yet.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I hear you Hank6046! For this rifle, I was just hoping for 1 or 2 at low end, 8 or 10 at top end, stable focus throughout range, light gathering similar to my viper, a simple reticle like any mentioned so far, and locking or capped adjustment....

Looked through another brown Sig 1-6 sfp today at the range. Didn't notice yellow color in lens, but the color I noticed around the edge was not in the image. It was reduced diameter of tube against which the lens is seated. Nothing a little black magic marker wouldn't fix, but it lost some focus from 1 when moving to 6. Not acceptable (to me in a 1-6. 1-10, maybe), and I haven't noticed this on my viper...

If I could only afford that Nx8 mentioned elsewhere.....

Edit: In all fairness, maybe I shudda focused that Sig at 6x and turned it down to 1x to verify focus range.....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 09-03-23 at 06:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hear you Hank6046! For this rifle, I was just hoping for 1 or 2 at low end, 8 or 10 at top end, stable focus throughout range, light gathering similar to my viper, a simple reticle like any mentioned so far, and locking or capped adjustment....

Looked through another brown Sig 1-6 sfp today at the range. Didn't notice yellow color in lens, but the color I noticed around the edge was not in the image. It was reduced diameter of tube against which the lens is seated. Nothing a little black magic marker wouldn't fix, but it lost some focus from 1 when moving to 6. Not acceptable (to me in a 1-6. 1-10, maybe), and I haven't noticed this on my viper...

If I could only afford that Nx8 mentioned elsewhere.....

Edit: In all fairness, maybe I shudda focused that Sig at 6x and turned it down to 1x to verify focus range.....
    I have a very good copy of the Vortex SE 1-8 FFP that is doing quite nicely for me. Many of my optics are used for a variety of weapons (different pics), but I locked down the Strike Eagle on my DD RIS 3 upper and plan on leaving it there. While I do prefer the Vortex Razor 1-6, it is obviously a much more expensive optic.

ETA a pic...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast