Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffer face wear - not pin related?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I emailed Geissele and received a reply that essentially it was a discrepancy between BCG hardness and buffer.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    I emailed Geissele and received a reply that essentially it was a discrepancy between BCG hardness and buffer.
    That is some crap right there, from the uneven wear it looks like there's a pretty sharp burr on the inner radius of the carrier. I would pay very close attention to the machining on the buffer retaining pin channel of the carrier by running your finger and feeling for any sharpness. From there you can just knock it down with a file.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Wrong thread

Feedback Score
    I've run into this about 4 times over the years, and with "Tier 1" BCGs. Tiny little tit burrs - associated with the retaining pin channel machining on the carrier tail as Vicious mentioned. And as Markm pointed out the buffer is rotating while being pushed up tight against the ass end of carrier, so a tiny steel burr will leave dramatic looking gouges in aluminum buffer face. Kinda like when you spill a small spoonful worth of oil on the garage floor and a minute latter it looks like you dumped a whole quart. When working with a carrier for the first time I just assume it has burrs and proceed accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12