Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has 6 ARC met its match? The 6mm MAX

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Has 6 ARC met its match? The 6mm MAX

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    A propriety cartridge, from a boutique developer, with 100 FPS MV - which is less than 65 yards diff for equivalent ballistic performance - over a SAMMI cartridge, with the provenance of Hornady, and market momentum behind it?

No chance it achieves anything beyond being an interesting novelty that pops up on occasion...if that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If we're playing this game why not 6mm Grinch?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN1957 View Post
    A propriety cartridge, from a boutique developer, with 100 FPS MV - which is less than 65 yards diff for equivalent ballistic performance - over a SAMMI cartridge, with the provenance of Hornady, and market momentum behind it?

No chance it achieves anything beyond being an interesting novelty that pops up on occasion...if that.
    Does it make a difference that 6mm Max uses standard AR15 bolts? Parent cartridge is 350 Legend. Seems pretty legit to me; all the performance charts show chamber pressures at or below 54k PSI.

ETA: The video does mention that 6mm Max is going through SAAMI testing right now.
    Last edited by caporider; 09-17-23 at 16:21.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    All the benefits of using a 5.56 bolt are great.

However, 6ARC is a DOD selected and procured cartridge which means for better or worse it isn't going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    All the benefits of using a 5.56 bolt are great.

However, 6ARC is a DOD selected and procured cartridge which means for better or worse it isn't going anywhere.
    Does that mean it has to be broadly accepted by the US civilian market? Chances are we'll never see any USGI 6 ARC stuff anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Does that mean it has to be broadly accepted by the US civilian market? Chances are we'll never see any USGI 6 ARC stuff anyway.

As far as adoption goes, it hasn’t been widespread, if at all. I don’t doubt at all that some units are fielding them, but we’re not talking about 30-06, 9mm, .45, .308, 5.56, or even 6.5x55. Maybe we’re talking about 6.8spc, maybe not.

Its a cool cartridge, though. A lot going for it. All the same stuff that’s going for the topic cartridge, but that one can use TDP bolts.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

An entity within DoD procured 6ARC ammo from Hornady, guns from Barrett, and suppressors from OSS/Huxwrk. Was it a POR, NPOR, unit purchase, or ??? Is there an existing IDIQ contract that ensures ammo and spare parts flow, or will 6ARC fade as budget priorities move on? I don't think 6ARC's future in the DoD is at all assured, let alone in the civilian marketplace.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    An entity within DoD procured 6ARC ammo from Hornady, guns from Barrett, and suppressors from OSS/Huxwrk. Was it a POR, NPOR, unit purchase, or ??? Is there an existing IDIQ contract that ensures ammo and spare parts flow, or will 6ARC fade as budget priorities move on? I don't think 6ARC's future in the DoD is at all assured, let alone in the civilian marketplace.
    From what little has been published, it sounds like ARC was developed for a specific unit and may have been sort of a one time deal. Hornady and others hint that it was a special operations unit but I suppose to could have been AMU for all we really know.

The 6.8 didn't live up to the hype but it and the Grendel, if nothing else, helped create a pretty active AR wildcat market.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    From what little has been published, it sounds like ARC was developed for a specific unit and may have been sort of a one time deal. Hornady and others hint that it was a special operations unit but I suppose to could have been AMU for all we really know.

The 6.8 didn't live up to the hype but it and the Grendel, if nothing else, helped create a pretty active AR wildcat market.

If 6mm MAX brings 6ARC type performance to a rifle using a 5.56 bolt, that's a pretty big deal. I've been shooting and loading 6.5 Grendel for nearly 20 years and 6mm MAX has my attention in a way 6ARC never did.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast