Thread: Fun with my 14.5 870

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Fun with my 14.5 870

Hey guys,

I was playing with my 870 over the last few range trips and I got some interesting results.

IMG_7423 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

1. This AIM surplus 14.5 inch barrel with XS sights is well zeroed at 100. I was able to consistently shooting pretty cheap "Slugger" 10z Remington slugs at 100 yards...

IMG_7231 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

I think those are pretty dang decent groups considering these are cheap slugs. The damage done to a person at this range would have to be pretty impressive.

2. I blasted 9 pellet Flite Control at 100 yards. Every shell had 1-3hits. I had to aim at neck level to consistently get 3 pellets on the plate. BUT several times I had multiple pellets hit the head. Still, it seems like, if you have a SBS and have to fire at someone at 100 yards, you will almost certainly hit them. I am not saying this is ideal, but the idea that buckshot is useless at range seems to be overblown. Interestingly, I fired some cheap S&B 9 pellet and it had similar results at that range.

3. I blasted some 9 pellet flite control at 20 yards. Weirdly, I got better results out of my Beretta 1301 but this was still pretty impressive.

IMG_7426 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

4. Finally I blasted some 9 pellet flite control at 10 yards. Again, not as good as I got out of my old 1301. However, this was about 60% as large as the S&B 9 pellet.

IMG_7432 by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Nothing shocking here. But still, the old Fudd cannon still has a lot to offer.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My 870 Wingmaster was my first NFA item. I never shoot it now. I need to let my kid get his shotgun thrills in with it. Flight Control ammo is its best friend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    That is fantastic results at 100 meters with any shotgun. Usually, minute of man is solid for a shotgun.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.