Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommend an EDC tactical light?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thats pretty much how my 2 cell EDC Surefire L4 Lumamax is set for which Ive been using for almost a decade. A 5/200 lumen low/high with momentary push and twist settings which is just about perfect for searching and working uses. Same they dont make these anymore.
    Do you know which generation your L4 LumaMax is? I am fairly certain the original ones were single level as the L2 LumaMax with dual level switch came at a higher price and longer length.

It looks like they still make a light with this interface. https://www.surefire.com/edcl2-t/
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-21-23 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Do you know which generation your L4 LumaMax is? I am fairly certain the original ones were single level as the L2 LumaMax with dual level switch came at a higher price and longer length.

It looks like they still make a light with this interface. https://www.surefire.com/edcl2-t/
    Ah my bad its an LX2 Lumamax. Other than the fragile pocket clip this thing is just about the perfect 2 cell EDC for me.

Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have the Streamlight 1L-1AA several have recommended and while it’s nice for what it is, I’ve been happier since stepping up to the Streamlight 2L-X. I thought I wouldn’t like the size and trying to stuff it in my pocket but it’s not as bad as I’d thought. The runtime is just that much better and having a rechargeable battery is great. No more guessing or throwing away batteries prematurely.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Nice to see Vinh's lights referenced here. I have an original K40vn. It's obsolescent now but I am not parting with it.
    Yea...his stuff/mods are top notch. He also gives honest build quality opinions on lights after opening them up and seeing how they are actually put together. He gives high praise to his modded Weltool lights. He puts them over Surefire's or any other brand. I've yet to try one though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I reached out to Malkoff Devices and he recommended the MDC HA SHO 1CR123: https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...9d02a083&_ss=r

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just to quickly update, I have been carrying the little Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1CR123. I really like it. Perfect size and does what I need. I'm not a light geek, so I can't answer tech questions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Just to quickly update, I have been carrying the little Malkoff MDC HA SHO 1CR123. I really like it. Perfect size and does what I need. I'm not a light geek, so I can't answer tech questions.
    Thats a good light!

I've been carrying that same light at work for a year without issue.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    MDC HA well fits your stated criteria. Nice pick. I take along an MDC HA AA when traveling. Coincidently, I was just talking to Gene last week about rechargeables for a 3 cell Surefire. Great guy.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    TBH this is what I have found to. I have had over 100 different Surefires, a few Streamlights, nitecore, fenix, etc. But I have found Olight has the best balance in the EDC/handheld market. I have a few of their weapon mounted lights, but still prefer my surefire/malkoff for a weapon mounted light, but olight wins hands down on handheld and maybe on headlamp too. One of the best parts is the rechargeable and "wireless" at that. But I can tell you I use the flashlights 1000 times more now that they are rechargeable compared to my surefire cr123 expensive replacement batteries. Not to mention run time BLOWS surefire and streamlgiht out of the water. I have used them for almost 3 hours straight before they died compared to my surfires dyeing in literally 20-30min or less. I prefer the tactical lines, so the Warrior lines as they call them due to the tail switch. I don't even own any other handhelds but olight anymore due to how much more use I get out of them compared to the surefire. I always kept the surefire on standby and used my crappy cell phone light instead so i didn't "waste" the expensive batteries. I did try 2 of the newer rechargeable surefires out and compared them to the Olights and the Olight won on brightness, throw, spill, and runtime by a LONG, LONG margin so I sold those off too. On weapon mounted, I am nervous of the reports of the rechargeable/recoil issues that cause fires so I mostly stick to surefire/malkoff still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I am a recovering flashlight geek who has bought just about every fancy Surefire, Streamlight, Malkoff, and various custom and most any vaguely tactical light since 1995. I carry a decent light 24/7 and have used many on duty working PMs for 15 years and still clearing houses during the day for the past 13. I have all Surefire on my duty guns but experiment with my handhelds constantly.

I say all this because I think that lights are evolving so fast now with much broader interest that buying higher end custom lights and even Surefire edc lights is a losing game. The new crop of Chinese sourced lights have been around for a long time now and that's where all the innovation is happening. I have carried a Klarus E2 as EDC for years due to the size, brightness, and easy tactical UI but the new Olight Warrior Mini 3 is a very clean evolution of Olights UI technology. They do the half press for medium and full press for full power better than Surefire. They also offer easy low power admin ability without interfering with the primary tactical usage. Strobe can be turned off but available if you want it. Fit and finish and performance are better than Surefire and their ancient adherence to old switching technology.

OLIGHT Warrior Mini3 Tactical Flashlight, Dual Switches LED Rechargeable Light with MCC3 Charger, 1750 Lumens Powerful EDC Flashlights for Camping, Emergency and Outdoor (Black) https://a.co/d/icwXq52

It also has more of a spot than the Klarus but with usable flood. For only $65 its worth getting and still leaving you open to upgrading in a couple years when an even more evolved model catches your interest.

Long winded but hopefully helpful!

Dennis.

Current Olight EDC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234