Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend an EDC tactical light?

Feedback Score
    An easy button option is the Streamlight Protac 88061 1L-1AA for $35

Good size for EDC, good functionality, uses 1 CR123 or 1 AA battery.

https://www.streamlight.com/products.../protac-1l-1aa
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    The EDC aspect means that it needs to have a low output mode,
    In my opinion low output isn't needed. I've never really "needed" low output, and if I did, I could use the shitty cell fone light. The few times I've not wanted to wreck my night eyesight, I've just covered the light with my hand and let a little light leak through. To me, low power would be for covering ground at night where I wanted to conserve batteries. I do keep some of those coin battery/key chain LEDs around for opening the Safe without blasting a full powered light.

I absolutely HATE mulit mode lights with a passion. And those things are almost all you can find anymore.

and the Tactical aspect means that this mode cannot be accidentally selected when high is needed, and vice verse.
    Agreed on that. And why I won't even mount a light on rifle that has a mode alternative.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    In my opinion low output isn't needed. I've never really "needed" low output, and if I did, I could use the shitty cell fone light. The few times I've not wanted to wreck my night eyesight, I've just covered the light with my hand and let a little light leak through. To me, low power would be for covering ground at night where I wanted to conserve batteries. I do keep some of those coin battery/key chain LEDs around for opening the Safe without blasting a full powered light.

I absolutely HATE mulit mode lights with a passion. And those things are almost all you can find anymore.

Agreed on that. And why I won't even mount a light on rifle that has a mode alternative.
    A good UI for a low or moonlight mode would be something like a long press. You cannot get into that mode unless you intentionally wanted to get there. Sure...it is mostly not needed, but like Grizz, I think it isn't an "EDC light" if it doesn't have it. A tactical light is something else. For a tactical UI, the Klarus XT line is hard to beat. It comes on turbo high first, no matter what. The primary button only turns it on, it doesn't change modes and brightness. The secondary mode clicky lever does that and is separate from the primary center clicky button and is to the side of it. You just flatten your thumb angle to activate it. Easy, intuitive, and everything done by feel in complete darkness.

A nice compact, good looking edc: 1600L and 112Kcd off of a 18350 battery. You can even get the added 18650 body (out of stock at the moment) for more output and endurance if you ever might need it.

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...42061744210080
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 09-20-23 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Lots of good info already posted in here, so i won't duplicate. The only thing i'll add, is I have been impressed with a buddy's Olight Baton 3 EDC light (not the pro version). I don't usually run Olights, but the Baton 3 is small, rechargeable, and puts out 1,200 lumens. It also clips on a hat if you need to go hands free. I don't love the button placement for the on-button, but it seems like a lot of light in a very small pocket-carryable package.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll go completely off the reservation.

In my experience, a good head lamp is a better alternative, in nearly every situation. The one's I use have a flip up Red Filter as well when you don't want to lose your NV. I typically don't EDC a light, unless I am hunting. But I have them stashed in locations where I can always get to them quickly.

If this is specific for an LE role, then maybe not so much, as I don't have any LE experience.

Don't misunderstand, I'm a sucker for flash lights as well and have a lot of them. However, I have headlamps stashed everywhere and I usually go to them first.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-20-23 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

In my experience, a good head lamp is a better alternative, in nearly every situation. The one's I use have a flip up Red Filter as well when you don't want to lose your NV.

Don't misunderstand, I'm a sucker for flash lights as well and have a lot of them. However, I have headlamps stashed everywhere and I usually go to them first.
    A headlamp would be terrible for any kind of "tactical" situation. There's no good way to do momentary, you can't quickly deploy it (e.g., if you want to give someone a face full of light to get them to back off), isn't conducive to shooting with a handgun (especially if you have an RDS), and sucks to carry around on your person. Definitely a great option for task lighting, but that doesn't seem to be the intent here.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-20-23 at 11:29.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score

In my experience, a good head lamp is a better alternative, in nearly every situation. The one's I use have a flip up Red Filter as well when you don't want to lose your NV. I typically don't EDC a light, unless I am hunting. But I have them stashed in locations where I can always get to them quickly.

If this is specific for an LE role, then maybe not so much, as I don't have any LE experience.

Outside of a pocket carry EDC light for tactical stuff, I'm with you 100% on going for headlamps first for most every day lighting. I'm a BIG headlamp fan, especially for camping, hunting, and SAR, and use red light a lot for hunting. I've come to love the Fenix HM61R V2, as it's a headlamp, but you can unclip the light and use it as a handheld as well. It's rechargeable, so i just keep it plugged in my truck, but it also takes CR123 for backup, and puts out 1,200 lumens on high. They have a similar 71R model that is 2,700 lumens.
    Last edited by B Cart; 09-20-23 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In my experience, a good head lamp is a better alternative, in nearly every situation.
    Those things are indeed priceless in some situations.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    A nice compact, good looking edc: 1600L and 112Kcd off of a 18350 battery. You can even get the added 18650 body (out of stock at the moment) for more output and endurance if you ever might need it.

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...42061744210080
    Nice to see Vinh's lights referenced here. I have an original K40vn. It's obsolescent now but I am not parting with it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    A headlamp would be terrible for any kind of "tactical" situation.
    But they are outstanding for real use. I've never had to (outside of training) use my weapon/defense lights since I'm not a patrol officer or anything like that.

To your point though... a bump in the night isn't going to lend itself to a headlamp at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast