Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend an EDC tactical light?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    But they are outstanding for real use. I've never had to (outside of training) use my weapon/defense lights since I'm not a patrol officer or anything like that.

To your point though... a bump in the night isn't going to lend itself to a headlamp at all.
    Which is why my SD rifles and shotguns all have rail mounted lights. I keep a head lamp sitting on my night stand, not a lot of difference grabbing that vs grabbing a flash light.

If you have a rail mounted light, anything you carry will be secondary and in my view, better to have that hand free to use. My strong preference is not to bring a pistol to a potential gun fight in my home and it ain't like you're likely to be up against Urban Team 6 or Ghetto Force.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This looks very interesting. Appears Streamlight updated the Wedge with a tail cap switch and shrunk it a bit. Might be what you are looking for

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge-xt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Which is why my SD rifles and shotguns all have rail mounted lights. I keep a head lamp sitting on my night stand, not a lot of difference grabbing that vs grabbing a flash light.

If you have a rail mounted light, anything you carry will be secondary and in my view, better to have that hand free to use. My strong preference is not to bring a pistol to a potential gun fight in my home and it ain't like you're likely to be up against Urban Team 6 or Ghetto Force.
    Yes. The hands free is very valuable. I should really think about getting a few of those. As a side note we do too much fair condition shooting. When we did a night shoot a few months back I was ill prepared for low light. A head lamp would have helped out massively.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes. The hands free is very valuable. I should really think about getting a few of those. As a side note we do too much fair condition shooting. When we did a night shoot a few months back I was ill prepared for low light. A head lamp would have helped out massively.
    I have one of these mounted on my ear pro. Very helpful in those situations.

https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec...s%2C371&sr=8-2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As a side note we do too much fair condition shooting.
    Yes, guilty as charged on that count. I've been doing some night scouting since getting my thermal clip on......Interesting what you do and don't see at night with a thermal optic. Which "may" be a better alternative with a 1X optic vs a light. Not sure I am there yet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Yes, guilty as charged on that count.
    If it starts raining, my shooting buddy starts packing up. I like shooting in the rain. Another guy brought out his NOD gear. Also interesting to see what you can and can't see at distance. I think we maxed out at 900 yard hits. A miniscule amount of back lighting on a mountain (not visible to the naked eye) blacks out everything on the mountain you're glassing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it starts raining, my shooting buddy starts packing up. I like shooting in the rain. Another guy brought out his NOD gear. Also interesting to see what you can and can't see at distance. I think we maxed out at 900 yard hits. A miniscule amount of back lighting on a mountain (not visible to the naked eye) blacks out everything on the mountain you're glassing.
    Interesting. That is a backlight issue. I wonder when they start going digital with processing like they do with security cameras and start using WDR (wide dynamic range). The unit would then take a fast shutter shot for the back light image and then a slower shutter shot for the dark section, then piece it together pixel by pixel. Now the mountain would look like there was no backlight at all, while the backlight wouldn't look like a bloom of light.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 09-22-23 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I absolutely HATE mulit mode lights with a passion. And those things are almost all you can find anymore.
    That's a UI failure IMHO. The Surefire A2 is the classic example of dual level done right. Momentary is press lightly for low, press harder for high. Constant on via twist for low, twist farther for high. When in constant low, press for momentary high.

Another good UI is head fully tight for full power, head half a turn loose for low.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That's a UI failure IMHO. The Surefire A2 is the classic example of dual level done right. Momentary is press lightly for low, press harder for high. Constant on via twist for low, twist farther for high. When in constant low, press for momentary high.

Another good UI is head fully tight for full power, head half a turn loose for low.
    Thats pretty much how my 2 cell EDC Surefire L4 Lumamax is set for which Ive been using for almost a decade. A 5/200 lumen low/high with momentary push and twist settings which is just about perfect for searching and working uses. Same they dont make these anymore.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Streamlight PROTAC 1L-1AA for EDC with CR123A battery. Small light but very bright. I can buy 3 of these Streamlights for the price of one very similar Surefire E1B BACKUP MAXVISION.

Yes, a headlamp is generally better, and I do have several Streamlight 3AA HAZ-LO headlamps, but I don't carry them with me as an EDC. In the truck or backpack the headlamps go, but not on my person for around the town jaunts.

I bought Surefire lights for years, and still have some, but I no longer buy new ones. Their price compared to delivered performance has been found wanting.

IMHO and YMMV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast