Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mid-length gas system in the cold.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    . . . most 16" mid-lengths I have will not reliably lock back when shot 180 degrees straight down . . .
    I never thought about testing lock back like this. I might try it some time.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have that gun. The 14.5 BCM Middy with ELW barrel is by far the softest and lightest AR I have and it's reliable. The "no free lunch" factor is the gunfighter muzzle device is barkie. No concussion like a brake, but it's louder for the shooter.
    I switched mine to an AAC flash hider. Definitely better.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post

Joe Mamma
    Just don't shoot your foot off Mamma.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post

Joe Mamma
    Try to envision a Marine on an Embassy roof, or an upper deck hosing miscreants on a lower deck, or vice versa. His battlefield is three dimensional, not a three gun flat range, might even be cold.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I expect it’s similar to my test of firing a rifle off the shoulder and held as lightly as possible. It’s a good proxy to cold, or fouled and unlubed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I expect it’s similar to my test of firing a rifle off the shoulder and held as lightly as possible. It’s a good proxy to cold, or fouled and unlubed.
    Yeah, I live in the Southeast, so it rarely gets cold enough here for me to be able to test in the cold. Also, I don't have many opportunities to shoot straight down into the ground. So I've taken to testing with weak Russian ammo off the shoulder, as you describe. I figure if it locks back then, it should be fine in adverse conditions with full power defensive or milspec ammo.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Yeah, I live in the Southeast, so it rarely gets cold enough here for me to be able to test in the cold. Also, I don't have many opportunities to shoot straight down into the ground. So I've taken to testing with weak Russian ammo off the shoulder, as you describe. I figure if it locks back then, it should be fine in adverse conditions with full power defensive or milspec ammo.
    Also a good representation of blind firing over a trench.

Ok, if you don’t doom-scroll telegram as much as I do then this may not resonate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can freeze your ammo to do cold testing, or a cooler with dry ice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You can freeze your ammo to do cold testing, or a cooler with dry ice.
    As an aside, aren't some types of powder and primers more temperature sensitive than others?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Split from another thread:
    Originally Posted by RUTGERS95
    middies blow in the cold and will choke in sub freezing temps unless you open them up negating the the 'supposed benefit' of the middy. I say supposed because Crane testing was immaterial. Dissy has the rifle length for longer sight picture before dots were a thing. Has nothing to do with someone needing long arms
    Trying to figure out the basis of this statement I found https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf which I suppose is or is related to the Crane testing that was dismissed as "immaterial." Why is it so? It shows less malfunctions with a mid-length gas system than with a carbine-length gas system at low temperatures. At the same time a reduced cyclic rate was observed. Are there conflicting reports?
    Crane (for USSOCOM) formally tested the feasibility of mid-lengths for SOF operational use -- as far as I know, the only formal, published-released feasibility (and later acceptance) evaluation run under EPVAT conditions.

Crane then contracted for, accepted, and passed to equip USSOCOM. Not necessarily a DOD-wide mil standard -- and SOCOM doesn't care. Call it whatever you want -- civ-spec, commercial off the shelf (COTS), Special Operations-Peculiar, whatever. The customer asked for it, they adopted it, it works for them.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast