Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you zero your handguns and test your ammo?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I keep a log on carry and competition handguns. In the log I put accuracy results, shift of POI between loads, etc. When I purchase a new load, I will not carry it until I verify accuracy and POI. If I go to a particular load I haven't fired in years, I can go to the log to see if a sight adjustment is needed.

At some point during a training session, I shoot 50 yards. Following log data, I rarely see a significant change in past POI.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Instead of zeroing my weapon, how about zeroing myself? My G17 was perpetually left. My other glocks, no problem hitting with mechanical zero. But that full sized 9mm was frustrating. I eventually drifted the sights 2 years ago. Since then, with dry fire and practice on steel I got better. Last week, went to the paper target range to train. Amazing! The groups were all too right. I ended drifting the sights back to mechanical zero. So, yes, I zeroed myself...
    I zero'd a guys Glock 45 today and was hitting right. I moved it over but wondered if I was the right shift. Told him to verify. Got it spot on but still gave me pause.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have RDS on my handguns but I do check for zero. When I check zero on my iron sight carbine and red dot carbine I do so at 36 yards. After checking and adjusting if necessary I check zero on my two handguns. Both are drift adjusting irons so my elevation is just something I have to work with but both are good. Windage is very important to me so I have spent some time shooting groups then taking the target/pistol to my local smith and getting the necessary adjustments done. Currently very happy with my POA/POI but I still check to remind myself of where I need to hold elevation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It happens inherently with practice.
    Indeed !

Feedback Score
    I roll all my own. Even sd. My trp operator has an adjustable rear. Went out and ran some of my sd gold dots through it at 15 yds. It was a slight low, but everything touched and I was shooting off hand. I think I zeroed it for that round 7 years ago at 25yds so I was ok with it. My wc though, that I built the round for, didn’t do quite as good. But I haven’t been shooting near as much lately and it was probably me more than the gun. But I have always wanted to know that if I needed to head shot something at 25 yards I could. So the wc is sitting and the trp is back to being carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I test my ammo and guns at least once a year, or whenever I change my ammo or sights. This will ensure that my zero is still accurate and that my ammo performs as expected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123