Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK12 Mod 1 clone...ish? Rail question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

MK12 Mod 1 clone...ish? Rail question

I want to build a loosely MK12 Mod 1 inspired rifle but I'm stumped on the rail. I don't believe the KAC RAS long is an option anymore and don't plan to pay a stupid price for it.

What would be the best option B for this build in your opinion? I was thinking the Larue in either 11" or 12" not sure which length would better match the KAC RAS Long. https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ail-handguard/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is nothing even close to MK12 about larue rails. Either get rid of the MK12 terminology, or rethink your rail selection.

Nothing wrong with wanting an 18" DMR/ SPR style rifle, but the rail is too much a part of the MK12 to be ignored.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    There is nothing even close to MK12 about larue rails. Either get rid of the MK12 terminology, or rethink your rail selection.

Nothing wrong with wanting an 18" DMR/ SPR style rifle, but the rail is too much a part of the MK12 to be ignored.
    You made a good way to describing what I want. 18" DMR/SPR with a picatinny rail close to the KAC RAS Long look. Would the Larue suite that or something else?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I mean...Looks close enough for me personally

Those gloves though

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8YLQfRqci7E
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 10-13-23 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The 13.2” would be optimal for your application. The 12” will leave the entirety of the gas block uncovered.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    You made a good way to describing what I want. 18" DMR/SPR with a picatinny rail close to the KAC RAS Long look. Would the Larue suite that or something else?
    Here are a few weapons that may or may not have quad rails, but give you a few looks that might be of interest to you... Nothing wrong with building what you want, the way you want it. I wouldn't personally get wrapped up with the idea of it being MK12ish. Any of the below will be incredible when it comes to shooting, and that is because they all (except the BCM MK12) use the Centurion Arms MK12 barrels.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMHO the gas block on the MK12 was exposed due to necessity. There were no FF rails at the time long enough to cover the gas block on a rifle length system.

If you want a pure MK12 clone then expose the gas block. If you want a rifle that has function over form, then use a rail that covers the gas block.

And this is America and you can call it a MK12ish clone or an SPR or a DMR or Honey Bunch or whatever you want.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I gave up once KAC discontinued all their legacy hand guards. Instead, I built an 18” barreled SPR style weapon with a 13.5” M-lok hand guard. I still want an actual MK12 clone, but I’m not going to pay the ridiculous prices either.

Another option would be to build a MK12 mod 0 using PRI parts. You can buy a complete factory PRI MK12 mod 0 upper for
    what the KAC hand guards sell for on Gunbroker.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What is the significance of covering or not covering the gas block, if it is a pinned unit?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast