Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MK12 Mod 1 clone...ish? Rail question

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What is the significance of covering or not covering the gas block, if it is a pinned unit?
    as far as I know the SPRs were not pinned, and on an precision rifle, there are opinions about that.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    as far as I know the SPRs were not pinned, and on an precision rifle, there are opinions about that.
    I forgot about the barrel distortion concern. In that case covered surely seems preferable.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    BCM has a nice MK12 Mod O that should be available again very soon. Its a NM barrel, and my results with it so far have been rock solid. With anything, the decision comes to what exactly you are looking for. For myself, I like the look of the MK12 Mod O, and the MK12 Mod 1, so I have variants of both. However, the builds that I make are with the MK12 barrel, and since that is what really makes the gun perform, that is what works for me with most of my shooting.

Regarding the above comment about calling it a MK12 or MK12ish weapon, you can call it a MK18 or even a MK19 if you want.
    That's not helpful to hear, I've had one of their Mod 0 uppers in my cart for weeks and have resisted so far.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Gunner (Marine Corps Warrant Officer) Ken Davis from the Weapons Training Battalion Precision Rifle Shop at Quantico wrote this about the Marine SAM-R (NOT the SPR):

"From the Jouster site by the original designer (retired Marine Gunner Ken Davis):

Re: Squad Designated Marksman Rifle

Posted By: Ken Davis <Send E-Mail>
    Date: Friday, 16 February 2007, at 8:52 am

In Response To: Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (LeagleEagle)

In the Gun Buyers Annual Presents #47 Special Weapons for Military and Police 2007 magazine, there is an article on page 30 of the Army’s SDM-R written by Charlie Cutshaw. Since he filled several pages with somewhat factual information, I didn’t get through the entire article because the opening picture has the weapons system with bayonet mounted, something that is never done with this type of rifle and I rapidly lost interest. The sample provided in the article is made by DPMS so you may want to check their web site for info on it.

I can tell you much about the Marines SAMR (Squad Advance Marksman Rifle) that was allude to in the article. Since I was the original designer of it back in 1996, it has changed very little in the last ten years and has proven to be an incredibly successful weapons system.

The basic platform is a standard M16A2 lower with an M4 flat-top upper. The feed dynamics of the M4 upper are superior to the A4 upper. The barrel is a 1 x 7 Krieger stainless barrel procured from Compass Lake as a set; barrel, bolt and barrel extension. Compass Lake does the chambering (NATO) and headspaces the bolt to it. Contrary to the article, the barrels are blued at the PWS shop; however, the finish is not very durable and wears easily so the majority of the existing SAMR’s look like they have unfinished barrels. The rail system is the KAC RAS, a big mistake because it works loose and several have been reported broken. We had to modify the rail locking nut with a set screw to keep it in place. If I was to do it again, I would use the Larue Tactical 13.2 inch rail system as it locks solidly in place and completely covers the gas tube. The front sight is a standard flip-up that is integral to the gas block. The bipod is a Harris swivel bench rest model with Pod-Lok. We built the SAMR the same as the NM M16A2’s meaning the rifle is set up using the same exacting standards we used in building the NM guns. Utilizing MK 262, we were getting sub-minute groups out to 800 yards.

Ken Davis"

I confirmed this with him when we were squadded together at Camp Perry during the National Matches.

Feedback Score
    Stick and Sinister's posts made glad I opened this thread. To the OP are you cloning or building a shooter? If you are building a shooter and need it now, the Larue will probably be fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cd228 View Post
    Stick and Sinister's posts made glad I opened this thread. To the OP are you cloning or building a shooter? If you are building a shooter and need it now, the Larue will probably be fine.
    I like building loose clone rifles. I don't care about the minute details some do but from walking up to the rifle I want someone to know it's inspired by a certain rifle...If any of that made sense.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

MK12 Mod 1 clone...ish? Rail question

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I like building loose clone rifles. I don't care about the minute details some do but from walking up to the rifle I want someone to know it's inspired by a certain rifle...If any of that made sense.
    That’s where I’d be with the MK12. I’d put better glass on it and a better mount, trigger etc. I don’t know about the can, I’ve already got more 5.56 can platforms than I wanted and a third plus the whole NFA thing would be more annoying. But the can is a huge part of it and why I’m torn. A BCM MK12 upper with SFMB plus Mini2 would be so much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 10-14-23 at 21:11.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an upper for the build but I need to get a lower for it...

Ideas on a good lower for a MK12 build?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I have an upper for the build but I need to get a lower for it...

Ideas on a good lower for a MK12 build?
    You mentioned “clone” and have reinforced that, so do you want military-esque markings? What about a full M16 cutout?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    You mentioned “clone” and have reinforced that, so do you want military-esque markings? What about a full M16 cutout?
    It's hard to say...For example I was building a M4A1 "clone" which again was very loosely tied to one with accessories (barrel matches, fsb, rear sight, etc) so again from across the room it was a M4A1 inspired for sure.

But instead of using an Aero lower with a Superman logo lower but in a huge A, I went with this lower https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/1127/ So again, not correct but a tasteful nod towards the goal.

Now I'm sure there is no MK12 marked lower and that isn't what I'm looking for, but you guys might have idea of good lowers that might fit the idea.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 10-15-23 at 08:03.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast