Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There Anything Wrong with Current EOTECHs?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Is There Anything Wrong with Current EOTECHs?

Are Eotechs currently made today good to go?

I have never really followed them, but remember reading a few years ago that there was some issues. From looking around at older posts it looks like some people were upset about some CS issue as well.

I have been using Aimpoint T2's for a while, however I looked through a friend's EXPS 3-0 and the reticle was slightly clearer for me. Not enough to get rid of my T2's, but I have a rifle that I wanted to pair up with a magnifier and from what I hear Eotechs pair well with magnifiers.

I do have some astigmatism that should be getting addressed with Lasik soon. The T2 is still workable for me, but if there is no reason to not get an EXPS 3-0 I'd pick one up.

So far the big things I've seen are weight (not an issue for this rifle), and battery life. How often are you guys changing batteries on them? I know it says 1000 hours, but that usually comes with a caveat.

Does anyone still prefer Eotechs over other options?

Are whatever past issues they have sorted out now? I don't see them mentioned much anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Are Eotechs currently made today good to go?

They are fine, however, there are other holographic optics that are more clear unless Eotech has made recent changes that I've missed. Vortex Optics "Huey" is noticeably clearer to my eye, and the new Holosun is even more so. If it helps any, I have an astigmatism as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    The huge clear window is still great for up close and the xps3-2 is great for a magnifier at distance.

They are also possibly the best nv option.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-14-23 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've always preferred EOTechs. I have two 3-2s and an older XPS 2 from pre-2014. They're insanely easy to shoot and I don't remember seeing any issues for quite some time, definitely have not had any issues with mine. I've picked up my guns with a dead Eotech fewer times than a dead Aimpoint. That's not apples to apples since the Aimpoints were left on but I track the battery consumption on all of my RDS now, minus the EOTs because they've never seemed to need frequent replacement. IIRC, you're mil, if so, they have a solid discount if you order straight from them.

Also, the 3-2 reticle is hugely underrated. The extra dot is great for CQB and distance with a 50m zero but not overly cluttered like the 3-4 IMO.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've always preferred EOTechs. I have two 3-2s and an older XPS 2 from pre-2014. They're insanely easy to shoot and I don't remember seeing any issues for quite some time, definitely have not had any issues with mine. I've picked up my guns with a dead Eotech fewer times than a dead Aimpoint. That's not apples to apples since the Aimpoints were left on but I track the battery consumption on all of my RDS now, minus the EOTs because they've never seemed to need frequent replacement. IIRC, you're mil, if so, they have a solid discount if you order straight from them.

Also, the 3-2 reticle is hugely underrated. The extra dot is great for CQB and distance with a 50m zero but not overly cluttered like the 3-4 IMO.
    To add to this, my friend got the 3-4 to really stretch the distance, but dots 3&4 are almost useless in realistic conditions since theres no windage references. 2 dots is the sweet spot (3 would be good too, but 4 is too many).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Eotechs are fine. The old inline models like the 512 are the ones that gave them a bad reputation for failing due fatigue with the connectors over time losing contact with the batteries during usage. Once they switched the battery position to transverse the probem went away.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    They are fine, however, there are other holographic optics that are more clear unless Eotech has made recent changes that I've missed. Vortex Optics "Huey" is noticeably clearer to my eye, and the new Holosun is even more so. If it helps any, I have an astigmatism as well.
    Holosun has a holographic sight? I thought that the EOTechs and the Vortex UH1s were the only ones on the market (not sure if the ELCAN HCO is available even to institutional users).

FWIW, my EOTech EXPS3-2 is actually worse to my eyes than my T-2 and CompM5, and is noticeable particularly under a magnifier (using the Aimpoint 3XMag-1), where the dots are more like diagonal streaks, while my Aimpoints are basically perfectly round. I use it specifically on my NODs-oriented gun. I probably still have a bit of mild astigmatism, even after my PRK.

I just replace the battery every 12 weeks as part of maintenance.

I'll note that it's my understanding that the whole magnifier thing with EOTechs is basically an optical trick; the actual dots are actually much smaller than 1 MOA, but the human eye will resolve it to be about 1 MOA, so under no magnification, we see it as a 1 MOA dot, while when you throw up the magnifier, the dot appears to be the exact same size pre-magnification despite the rest of the sight picture being 3 times bigger (so like 1/3rd MOA with a 3× magnifier). Still a useful trick, but it's not true that they don't magnify. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/VortexAnswe...igger_but_not/

It is my understanding that holographics sights will generally be more susceptible to thermal shift simply due to the complexity of the optics inside, as there's far more optical elements that are involved to get an HWS working, compared to just an RDS, see:

L-3 made a big effort to reduce this issue, so they're much better about it now than they were a decade ago, they're allegedly comparable to typical quality RDSes in terms of thermal drift now, when previously they could easily be double (assuming that EOTech has kept these improvements).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 10-14-23 at 21:53.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    To add to this, my friend got the 3-4 to really stretch the distance, but dots 3&4 are almost useless in realistic conditions since there's no windage references.
    Most ACOGs don't have windage reference as far as I can see and those have proven to be far from "almost useless in realistic conditions."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Most ACOGs don't have windage reference as far as I can see and those have proven to be far from "almost useless in realistic conditions."
    They inadvertently do. The hash marks are of significant width to make eyeballing a 2mil wind hold half as far from any reference. Maybe others are better but once I get so far from a reference my accuracy degrades fast.

Im talking 500yards+ on 12" plates also.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I will try to take a look through those. I’ll admit I haven’t really considered Holosun much just because of how many different sights they have, and not knowing which are the good ones vs which are the hobby grade stuff. I’m usually pretty averse to “Made in China” (I know, I know, I’m typing this from a phone made in China). But I’ll take a look.

I will say the EOTECH I looked through was very sharp. If the Vortex and Holosun are even better then I will be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

Yeah I made an account with them and it’s a bigger discount than I was expecting. I was going to go with the single dot inside the ring, but you have me considering the two dots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast