Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Staking

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Castle Nut Staking

I just picked up a Starrett 18C to try to make staking more consistent, cleaner and less of an adventure.

Looking for folks thoughts on this stake job........These are VLTOR A5 components.

I started with the punch backed out to strike lightly, then increased the pressure and went HAM on it.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-14-23 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is freakin weird. I was just thinking about how stake jobs used to be a common subject on this board a few years ago.

This pic is fine. It's bending metal to stop the movement of the nut. You should see my messy jobs. I take no pride in making a picture perfect stake.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's the tool (spring loaded punch) what this place recommended when I joined and had the same question many moons ago. My initial stakes were functional but not that clean. Good 1st one.

I think I also bought a bolt carrier staking tool from a long time member who made them I think around the same time 2012-2014. Only had to use it a few times for better stakes than delivered bolt carriers, very simple neat tool that will outlast the cockroaches. Haven't a clue who I bought it from though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    That's the tool (spring loaded punch) what this place recommended when I joined and had the same question many moons ago. My initial stakes were functional but not that clean. Good 1st one.

I think I also bought a bolt carrier staking tool from a long time member who made them I think around the same time 2012-2014. Only had to use it a few times for better stakes than delivered bolt carriers, very simple neat tool that will outlast the cockroaches. Haven't a clue who I bought it from though.
    Probably one of Ned's gas key staking tools, like the one I have, only its a V2 model.

Feedback Score
    Looks good!

The consistency I'm after is the correct placement.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'd be happy with that stake. I hate staking because I'm OCD and hate ugly stakes.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Looking for folks thoughts on this stake job........These are VLTOR A5 components.

I find it unusual that you placed the punch close to the center of the thickness of the end plate, but it seems to have worked well. Most of the staking I've seen and therefore what I have tried to copy is closer to the castle nut side, like this. (Not mine, just an image search.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I find it unusual that you placed the punch close to the center of the thickness of the end plate, but it seems to have worked well. Most of the staking I've seen and therefore what I have tried to copy is closer to the castle nut side, like this. (Not mine, just an image search.)

That Will Larson stake job is perfection.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post

It takes more work t have it centered but I blew through the edge one time and completely ruined the stake so I'm a little more conservative now.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is some mighty fine automatic center punch work right there.

I've had a few requests to make a tool that is an analog to my (above pictured)MOACKS too, for staking castle nuts. But, there is a place for the creation of a special tool and place to take the easy way out-- as you can see, that Starrett automatic center punch does a great job. It's worth the extra money to get the actual Starrett one. It's what I've been using and recommending for a couple decades-plus.

The thing you'll run into sometimes is a very hard receiver end plate. They are not supposed to be glass-hard and I don't know why anyone would make them that way. Same deal with carrier keys, some are, for an unknowable reason, super hard. In either case it makes staking a bitch. I've noticed that some, not all I think, but some, of the hard carrier keys are MIM'd.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast