Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle Nut Staking

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I find it unusual that you placed the punch close to the center of the thickness of the end plate, but it seems to have worked well. Most of the staking I've seen and therefore what I have tried to copy is closer to the castle nut side, like this. (Not mine, just an image search.)
    Yep, you're 100% correct, my initial spotting punch was closer to the center than I was hoping for....But, it was my first round with the Starrett so will try to do better at getting it onto the castle nut 1/3 of the end plate on the next attempt.

Dang-nation, if Ned thinks its GTG then color me impressed with myself!

I've yet to run into any gas keys that are too tough for the MOAKSII Ned. But I buy mainly Colt spare parts, so I don't see a ton of variablity in the one's I either fix or replace. (Usually because they have those shitty screws and I replace them all with OCKS.)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nitrided parts (gas keys and end plates) are usually the biggest PITA to stake. Phosphated steel that hasn't been surface hardened by the nitriding process is FAR easier to stake into.
    SOLGW Deputy Director of Sales

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I find it unusual that you placed the punch close to the center of the thickness of the end plate, but it seems to have worked well.
    Alright Disciple, how do these mesh with your sensibilities?

Last edited by HKGuns; 10-15-23 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Alright Disciple, how do these one mesh with your sensibilities?
    It looks fine to me. Here's the last one I did for what it's worth. Sorry for the blurry photos; I'm no Stickman.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It looks fine to me. Here's the last one I did for what it's worth. Sorry for the blurry photos; I'm no Stickman.

Sorry if I missed it, but how are you doing your staking?

ETA: The photos and staking look great. What is that copper stuff?
    Last edited by georgeib; 10-15-23 at 15:01.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but how are you doing your staking?

ETA: The photos and staking look great. What is that copper stuff?
    Thanks! I used a Fowler 52-500-290-0 and the copper is Loctite C5-A.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks! I used a Fowler 52-500-290-0 and the copper is Loctite C5-A.
    Thank you.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    Nitrided parts (gas keys and end plates) are usually the biggest PITA to stake. Phosphated steel that hasn't been surface hardened by the nitriding process is FAR easier to stake into.
    Yeah staking nitrided parts by does suck

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Staking gays.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    That is some mighty fine automatic center punch work right there.

I've had a few requests to make a tool that is an analog to my (above pictured)MOACKS too, for staking castle nuts. But, there is a place for the creation of a special tool and place to take the easy way out-- as you can see, that Starrett automatic center punch does a great job. It's worth the extra money to get the actual Starrett one. It's what I've been using and recommending for a couple decades-plus.

The thing you'll run into sometimes is a very hard receiver end plate. They are not supposed to be glass-hard and I don't know why anyone would make them that way. Same deal with carrier keys, some are, for an unknowable reason, super hard. In either case it makes staking a bitch. I've noticed that some, not all I think, but some, of the hard carrier keys are MIM'd.
    I've run into those hard endplates too. And it was odd considering they were Colt's no less. They weren't glass hard like nitride finished end plates, but they were hard enough that when I attempted my usual staking job on them the section I was staking started to cave down between the castle nut and the receiver. Of course after that you have to go through the trouble to change out the end plate do the whole process over again with a new one... It can get pretty frustrating.

Knock on wood, I haven't run into an overly hard phosphate finished gas key yet and I hope not to.

Anyways, some end plate staking that I've done with the hammer and punch method (3 to 5 light taps), I try not to go overboard and blow through the edge like I see so many do.

Last edited by 556Cliff; 10-25-23 at 21:48.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast