Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 940-1 thoughts, experieces?

Feedback Score

S&W 940-1 thoughts, experieces?

I recently came across a lightly used 940-1. I had to google it find out what it was. It was a pre-lock Jframe in 9mm. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this model, and if so, I am hoping you would share.
    I want this primarily as a collectible and occasional edc, and a way to get in more Jframe practice with my most commonly loaded caliber. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I bought a 940 when they were first produced and carried it as a backup weapon. No problem qualifying with it other than the cases would sometimes get stuck in the chambers when it got hot. I still have it and have no plans to get rid of it. (I like J frames anyway, my current EDC is a 442 Centennial Airweight .38 Special.)

Feedback Score
    I heard a few grumbles about the cases getting stuck and a few about the bullets moving forward in the cases from the recoil (I forget what that is called).

The few grumbles I heard about were I stress "a few", I never owned one but would certainly buy one now if I saw one.

I also heard a few grumbles about the 340 j-frame .357 doing the same things but I've been using a 340 for 18 years and never had issues of that kind with mine. This is why I'd grab the 940 if I saw it.
    No gun is perfect and you will always hear grumbles about something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

S&W 940-1 thoughts, experieces?

I love my 9mm converted 642-1. One of those goes with me anywhere type of guns.

For me, I get identical velocity from Hornady XTP 147 grain standard pressure as I did from Hornady CD 110 grain +P. Main reason I did the switch.

For the 940s, I did hear about sticky cases… but not something I’ve dealt with my conversion cylinder (Pinnacle).

For bullet jump, just make sure you use a round with a decent crimp. Hornady line… good to go. I get a same POI with the old UMC bulk 115 grain, so I have a few cases stocked up for training. I inked the UMC bullets so I could see any movement (permanent marker where the bullet meets the case)… fired 4 rounds and checked the 5th a few times. Never had an issue.

The Hornady, I did the same test but used the same round over 4 cylinders to see how well it held. Zero issues.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve owned and carried a 940 for 30 years and just recently retired it when I picked up a G43. It has always been reliable and accurate if I did my part. I used to run in through qual courses when I carried it as an ankle gun and learned to really smack the ejector rod with the palm of my hand to ensure ejection of any stuck cases. After a long day at the range I’d have little bloody divets on the palm of my hand.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I carried one for ten years on my vest or in an ankle holster as a BUG in the 90’s. I only stopped because of the weight. The only possible disadvantage was the ability to reload if it was needed as there’s no good way to carry extra full moons. I used to carry it loaded with 9mm Federal when I carried it off duty so I could reload if ever needed. At that time I had several revolvers in 9mm and 45ACP. It’s a very nice revolver and worth quite a bit now days.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I've had two of them in the past. The first one was purchased used, and I knew the original owner who had sent it back to S&W for the sticky case issue. He was a cop at the time and was sent a prepaid label and had it back in about a week, all good to go. I ended up selling it to a friend who needed a backup gun. As far as I know he still has it. I didn't like its sharp recoil with SD level loads.

But I missed it, and bought another one. This one did have extraction issues and I sold it at a gun show and never bought another. These guns demonstrated to me that I prefer straight wall cases and no moon clips. I sat on a loaded moon clip one day and bent the clip badly enough that the cylinder wouldn't close.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I highly recommend them they're really fantastic.

I used to have a 2 in and I still have a 3 in the three inch are super ultra rare.

The 9 mil is highly efficient in a snub nose revolver check out the military Arms channel video about 9 mil in a snub nose revolver.

Anyways yeah they are pretty freaking amazing!

Feedback Score
    Not for me.

In a steel gun it might as well be .357 magnum. You can load it with 125 gr bullets at 650 fps or 1250 fps or a 180 gr at 1000 fps.

For a lightweight snub I have an LCR .327 Fed mag. 6 shots from a cylinder that would only hold 5 .38's or 9x19's.

It can be loaded with an 88 gr bullet at 650 fps (.32 s&w) or a 115 gr bullet at 1250 fps. with many options in between.

As others said a 9mm lightweight snub is going to kick pretty hard and best for a reloader. Light practice loads could be loaded and heavier loads with a roll crimp, too.

I prefer having 6 shots in the lightweight gun but honestly I rarely carry it preferring to carry a heavier 6 or 7 shot .357 with a 3 inch barrel.

Now. talking about a steel frame, 25 oz 9x19 revolver (the 940) that solves the recoil issues. But I'd still rather have a 6 shot .38 or .357 like a Colt King Cobra. (Available in 2. 3, and 4 inch)

A 12 shot vs 15 shot pistol I'm not very concerned about. But going from 5 to 6 is a bigger deal.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-18-23 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the responses. Thank you.
    I wanted to give you all a quick update. I have about 200 rounds through the 940, using TK Custom moon clips, and about the same amount through an LCR 9mm using their clips. The LCR is lighter, but it is bigger enough to make pocket carry more noticeable. The 940 recoils less, probably due to weight. They both shoot my preferred carry load to point of aim at 10-15 yards, I fired a few rounds at different sessions.
    Surprisingly I had a round experience bullet pull in the 940. It was one of my reloads, I was surprised as the recoil difference is noticeable and I did not have it happen in the LCR, or with my carry load Winchester PDX 124 +P.
    I think it was due to a poorly loaded round by me.
    I am still occasionally getting short strokes on the LCR trigger. It is fine when I take my time, but if I run a drill and try to up the split times it happens. I had it happen about 4 times in 100 rounds. I am certain I could train it out, I also think if I hadn't previously fired J-Frames it would be a non-issue.
    The first time shooting the 940 I had a hard time ejecting empties. Taking a suggestion from here, I had my gunsmith polish the chambers. It was a big difference. Thank you!
    If I choose to carry a 9mm snub, I am going with the 940. I am not getting rid of the LCR, but is definitely second in my heart.
    I was surprised how much 9mm recoils in a revolver, but it is a welcome change from auto pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast