Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ 75 vs Beretta 92

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

CZ 75 vs Beretta 92

I was all set on buying another Beretta 92 to replace one I traded away a year or so ago. Yesterday I got some range time with a friends CZ 75 compact and I found it to be an extremely nice gun. It would fill my want of a traditional DA/SA gun very well.

Both guns are proven designs but is there a tangible reason to go with one over the other?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Italian women are hotter than Czech.

The service history of Beretta gives it an edge in my mind.

Info: I own a lot of pistols, but not one CZ, perhaps I am missing something.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The CZ-75 compact SA/DA is quite different than the 92 series which doesn't have the cocked/locked mode. I'm not referring to the new 92 single action pistol.

I've owned two CZ metal guns, the full size CZ 75 and the "compact" PCR. The PCR has a decocker and probably closer to the manual of arms of the Beretta. I've owned half a dozen Beretta of some style or another.

Regardless, the DA pull of the CZs are longer and heavier than the Beretta DA pull (all factory, unaltered). Of course one can install lighter hammer spring in the CZ and 92 and achieve much lighter and manageable DA first shot. I still think the trigger reach for the CZ is longer. If you have big hands or long fingers, the CZ will fit you. Little hand/short fingers will struggle to get the DA pull.

One can send their CZ to Cajun and get the action lighten and smooth as a butter. Same with Beretta owners who send their guns to Langdon Tactical. If one is adept with his disassembly/reassembly skill, the "trigger job in a bag" will turn your DA/SA on the 92 into a dream gun. The G kit conversion can turn the 92 into a decocker.

The CZ is a little flatter and shorter, so it carries and conceals better than the Beretta. One would have to get the Beretta 92 Compact to make conceal carry a better option, the full size is a hair more difficult to conceal under light summer wear.

Having owned both types, I prefer the Beretta over the CZ. Now if you're talking about the CZ P07 (polymer), that changes everything. I can shoot it better than $2500 custom guns (Browning, Wilson, etc.) There's something about that P07.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I've got trigger time on the CZ and own a Beretta. Sam's post above is great. IMHO both pistols are great DA/SA guns, and it'll be personal choice between the two. I would factor in the easily replaced parts (Grips, sights) when comparing the two.

I'd also offer the following observation. When I was an RSO at the MWR in Germany, I noticed that our rental CZ seemed to hold up better then our rental 92S (model, not plural). Both guns where older, were cleaned once a year (or if there was a stoppage), never lubed and only got parts when they broke. Thats an example of one and both guns where neglected.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    CZ has a great following, especially competition guns but I have never gotten into CZ's but I know they are good guns. I would think a CZ might conceal better and the 92 seems to have a lot of edges, but I never concealed mine so who am I.

For a DASA, concealed gun I would consider Legion 229. That DASA guns is very nice. Not exactly light weight but none of the above guns are light per se.

I shot a concealed carry Langdon compact 92 and it was just insane to shoot. Super nice and zero bad things come to mind, well maybe a bit light of a carry trigger but to each his own.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like both guns, but I've always treated the CZ-75 as a cocked and locked gun that had a re-strike capability. I think I've shot a decocker model, but I've only owned the classic model. I enjoy shooting both, but the mag design on the CZs with the lip on the front can be awkward for carry, and at least the older ones have an annoying feature that keeps the mags from dropping free. I do find the CZs very shootable, but I've carried the M9 so much I'm just familiar with the Beretta it's become something I generally go too.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I should note that this wont be a concealed carry gun. This will be a working in the garage and keep it on the bench kind of gun. Also a range shooter. Thought the CZ compact could definitely work as a CCW. About the same size as a Glock 19 and a bit thinner it felt like.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I had a Cz P01.

It was okay, but I prefer the 92.

I reccomend a 92X Centurion RDO.
    I have one and like it. Get the G model or get the Beretta kit to make it a G. (Decocker only)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have both a Beretta 92G (decock only) and a CZ 75B. To me, the CZ feel better in the hand - great ergonomics; the 92 is much easier to detail strip. The Beretta had a better SA trigger, DA was kind of a draw for me. Its very simple to swap a "D" spring into the 92, which definitely makes the Beretta DA trigger better than the CZ. A bit of a moot point, since the CZ allows for cocked and locked carry.
    My $.02 is buy the Beretta if you want a traditional DA, the CZ if you wanna primarily want to shoot SA.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-16-23 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Beretta 92X RDO, a CZ 75, a CZ 85 (ambi) and a CZ 75B SA.

My Beretta has a little over 500 rounds on it. with no after market parts. The DA CZ's are both 'surplus. The 75 has some new fire control parts and the slide has been milled with a Novak cut; the 85 has had nothing done to it since I bought it except a new recoil spring. Both of the older CZ's have had the magazine brakes removed. The 75B SA has been Cajunized and really isn't relevant to this discussion.

I think the 85 has the best DA pull of just about any DA/SA I've shot even though it is longer than the Beretta. The Beretta DA is no slouch, though, and I'd rank it above the old 75 because the 75 stacks up a little at the end.

The SA of the Beretta is crisper than both of the DA/SA CZ's I have although I actually prefer the roll over of the old CZ's. The 75B SA with a flat trigger beats them all, I don't think you'll get a better SA off a trigger that pivots on a pin.

Beretta is easier to work on, and more aftermarket support is better.

But, I think everyone should own a CZ75 in their lifetime.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast