Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher-recoiling pistols and the RDS?

Feedback Score

Higher-recoiling pistols and the RDS?

I've noticed when firing higher-recoiling pistols the dot is more likely to not always return to the target versus lighter-recoiling pistols.

In other words, I'm in the middle of a string of fire, firing singles at some distance (as opposed to having the vertical streak under rapid fire) and then...where did it go?!

It doesn't happen with my 92X and practice ammo but it did with my M96 .40 and definitely with my S*W M&P 2.0 with microdot. Real bad with that one.

I imagine it's my grip depreciating during fire & movement.

What to do?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are you gripping really hard w support hand? Consistency is key w RDS so I do a lot of dry fire draws. Hard and consistent grip helps me keep red dot in window and on target.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ll find out soon. Just ordered a dot mount for my GP100 and my G23. Otherwise, I shoot 9mm, and so does pretty much everyone I interact with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Are you gripping really hard w support hand? Consistency is key w RDS so I do a lot of dry fire draws. Hard and consistent grip helps me keep red dot in window and on target.
    Mark
    I do. About 50 / 50. But I think my hands get fatigued and the grip loosens up.

I recently took the optic off my Beretta 96A1 .40 because the recoil was harsh compared to the M92X 9mm and dot easy to lose. I also found the PX4 .45 easier to shoot well with much more acceptable recoil than the .40.

I'm probably going to sell or trade the M96A1. I like it overall but I just don't shoot it well.

The S&W is easy to grip well. But with the Microdot, again, sometimes recoil tosses the dot and it doesn't appear back over the target. I'm going to sell that optic. It's too small to "track", especially with the extra .45 recoil. As an aside the PX4 .45 recoils less than the S&W.

I just put an optic on a 686+ 3 inch but haven't fired anything hotter than 160 gr +p from it. It was great except it shoots about 10 inches high at 25 yds and the optic adjustment is maxed out. I'll be contacting the mount maker and see what they can do.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I do. About 50 / 50. But I think my hands get fatigued and the grip loosens up.

I recently took the optic off my Beretta 96A1 .40 because the recoil was harsh compared to the M92X 9mm and dot easy to lose. I also found the PX4 .45 easier to shoot well with much more acceptable recoil than the .40.

I'm probably going to sell or trade the M96A1. I like it overall but I just don't shoot it well.

The S&W is easy to grip well. But with the Microdot, again, sometimes recoil tosses the dot and it doesn't appear back over the target. I'm going to sell that optic. It's too small to "track", especially with the extra .45 recoil. As an aside the PX4 .45 recoils less than the S&W.

I just put an optic on a 686+ 3 inch but haven't fired anything hotter than 160 gr +p from it. It was great except it shoots about 10 inches high at 25 yds and the optic adjustment is maxed out. I'll be contacting the mount maker and see what they can do.
    I have a 96A1, and the recoil is on the harsher side compared to some other pistols. I’ve not tried a dot on it, though. I bought it to shoot Limited Major, shot half a case through it, and determined I’d rather shoot other divisions. Doesn’t help that I bought it near the time I switched to G19s almost exclusively, and Carry Optics got popular.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-18-23 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Which 2.0 are you shooting, Ron?
    Am shooting a 2.0 Compact in 9mm, started w a Holisun 507 and now running an EPS, both have same size window. When I don't screw up the presentation the dot remains visible and back on target. No doubt stronger recoil will increase the chances of losing the dot, but good form should bring the sight picture back to pre ignition.
    Dry fire and maintain grip for longer periods to increase endurance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Which 2.0 are you shooting, Ron?
    Am shooting a 2.0 Compact in 9mm, started w a Holisun 507 and now running an EPS, both have same size window. When I don't screw up the presentation the dot remains visible and back on target. No doubt stronger recoil will increase the chances of losing the dot, but good form should bring the sight picture back to pre ignition.
    Dry fire and maintain grip for longer periods to increase endurance.
    M&P 2.0 .45 full size with Leopold Microdot. It's a tiny window. Not a good match with a .45.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-17-23 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have a 96A1, and the recoil is on the harsher side compared to some other pistols. I’ve not tried a dot on it, though. I bought it to shoot Limited Major, shot half a case through it, and determined I’d rather shoot other divisions. Doesn’t help that I bought it near the time I switched to G19s almost exclusively.
    I have about 400 rds of 180 gr and about 360 rounds of 155 gr gr through it. Without optic, then with, then without.

Converted to G-type, Wilson short reach steel trigger, 14 lb hammer spring, put thin, G10 grips on it but removed them because they were actually decreasing my contact with the gun. The 507C was mounted with the Trijicon plate.

I also tried a 16 lb recoil spring on steel rod. That seemed to help recoil but added extra motion upon slide return. The last time I fired it I put the factory rod and spring back in and that confirmed the 16 lb recoil spring indeed added extra, unwanted motion.

I learned the 13 rd Mec-gar mags do not play well with 155 gr FMJ bullets (they would hit below the feed ramp and sometimes cause a stoppage) because they have a wide meplat and the Mec-Gars don't present the bullet as high as the 12 rd Beretta mags.

Otherwise, the 96A1 trigger action is inferior to the 92XG as the 92XG has a shorter reset and already comes with a nice trigger. (Not the poly covered one the 96A1 comes with)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Wrt the 2.0, clearly the small window is a problem for you. Milling the slide for a conventional RDS, a $100 option if you like the pistol otherwise. Sounds like you are selling it, so maybe you are not so fond of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 10-18-23 at 18:03.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast