Thread: Bolt lubrication

Feedback Score

Bolt lubrication

Decided to go through my AR's, many of which have not been shot, lube them and sight them in. Watched many videos and read military manuals and other books on care and lubrication. The only place I could find any talk of lubing the locking lugs was in a book on building competitive AR's by Glen Zediker. I am curious as to why so many do not think they need to be lubed. I lube the lugs on all my high power rifles because of the risk of galling.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KS25-06 View Post
    I am curious as to why so many do not think they need to be lubed. I lube the lugs on all my high power rifles because of the risk of galling.
    Who knows? I think the barrel extension will gall no matter what, but the lugs lube helps suspend fouling at a minimum. I just try to keep the bold face free of lube.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some people tell you the AR needs very little lube, and state the rails on the BCG are all thats needed. The standard military thing was "coat all metal parts heavy enough that you can almost see the lube flow down them".

I can remember being in Iraq where the heavier the lube applied, the more it looked like pudding after an hour or so outside the wire. The baby powder fine silt/ sand was horrific. Even in vehicles it was bad, but patrols on quads were disgusting. Nothing like being out all night and spending hours cleaning your weapon even though it was wrapped up.

I've used some dry lubes that worked well under range conditions, but I'm not sure they were ever good enough for extended LEO use, never mind combat patrols.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB