Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ejection patterns tell us ......

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Ejection patterns tell us ......

Ejection patterns tell us some information about how a gun is gassed. However, recently I put a BCM A5 buffer system in a SR15 and it runs great. Very happy with how it runs, it runs very smooth and a pleasure to shoot. But I noticed the ejection pattern with the carbine buffer was 2:00-2:30 and very hot per se, put in the A5 and love it. Oddly enough it shoots very smooth yet still ejects to 2:00-2:30.

I have never seen a gun run very smooth and have an awesome recoil impulse and lob the brass the direction the way this gun does so. Just interesting and thought I'd share and see if anyone else has experienced a similar set up.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070202...es/tnote34.htm

The ejection pattern of a rifle is created by a complex interplay of the opening velocity of the carrier group, and the extractor, ejector and their springs. In general, the faster the carrier group opens, or the stronger the extractor and ejector springs, the farther toward 12:00 (looking down on the rifle) the case is ejected. The weaker the springs are, or the slower the carrier group opens, the farther toward 6:00 the case is ejected.
    Maybe it has something to do with the springs in the Knights bolt?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    My 1st AR was an Anderson (cough, cough) 16 in carbine gassed. I knew nothing about these guns but did notice it ejected to the rear. Various factory ammo and various reloads of different components and powder charges. 6 or 800 or so rounds in, I sent a pic of dinged up cam pin to one who knows. He said he had cam pins with 4,000 rounds that didn't look as bad. Installed the advised adjustable gas block. When tuning from closed setting, if brass cleared the receiver, it went to 4:00. Later, I replaced extractor/spring and now observe the pie chart. Don't know if it really means anything or if it's simply a miniscule event in the annals of history....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 10-31-23 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    PB, I run a Vltor A5 system and LMT E-Carrier in my 16" SR15 Mod2.

Agreed on all points. KAC is doing different things, in a good way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    PB, I run a Vltor A5 system and LMT E-Carrier in my 16" SR15 Mod2.

Agreed on all points. KAC is doing different things, in a good way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A5 and LMT E Carrier is good gear. I run A5’s in most of my AR’S. They have been great for me. And I have several E carriers. Add those two and an SSA, TRIFECTA, and life is generally good.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    A5 and LMT E Carrier is good gear. I run A5’s in most of my AR’S. They have been great for me. And I have several E carriers. Add those two and an SSA, TRIFECTA, and life is generally good.

PB
    Completely agree.

I know that the LMT E-Carrier on a new SR15 Mod2 is a different move.

I experimented with it after seeing a larger delta between PMC Bronze 55gr .223 and Frontier 62gr 5.56 NATO ammo than I wanted to see. PMC is weak AF, but otherwise good ammo. I found BCG velocity to be a little sluggish. Whereas with Frontier, it ran right but could be a little harsh.

I found the LMT E-Carrier added velocity in slow-end with the PMC and softened the stroke with the super-hot Frontier on the fast-end of BCG velocity.

I was running a BCM Mk2 T-0 (3.7pz IIRC) with Geissele Super 42 Rifle spring (their rifle spring works in the A5 system & with normal diameter buffers). Decided to try a BCM Mk2 T-1 buffer @ 4.6oz and an simply shocked at this amount of improvement in breadth of function, while still getting that comp-gun level of smoothness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I'm having as very similar situation but with a different set up. G$ 11.5 barrel (.070 carbine) running on a carbine RE with a standard spring and H3 and running suppressed with an OCL Polo K. In this set up it ejects at 2:00 ish but little gas to the face and isn't a bucking bronco. But I wanted to see if I could fine tune it so tried a Sprinco Red and Blue and neither will run without the can on it (which is a requirement for me.) So this past weekend I tried a G$ G42 spring with the H3 combo. Seemed to slow the bolt down a little based solely on recoil impulse but ejection pattern was still the same. I'm thinking go back to the Red and go down to H2 (which is one train of thought ie more spring less weight) or try the Hot White. Ultimately if I leave it alone I won't be upset but my OCD wants to find the "perfect set up." I know I know......

I should add running an RCA nitride BCG with Sprinco springs.
    Last edited by Dutch110; 11-06-23 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I'm having as very similar situation but with a different set up. G$ 11.5 barrel (.070 carbine) running on a carbine RE with a standard spring and H3 and running suppressed with an OCL Polo K. In this set up it ejects at 2:00 ish but little gas to the face and isn't a bucking bronco. But I wanted to see if I could fine tune it so tried a Sprinco Red and Blue and neither will run without the can on it (which is a requirement for me.) So this past weekend I tried a G$ G42 spring with the H3 combo. Seemed to slow the bolt down a little based solely on recoil impulse but ejection pattern was still the same. I'm thinking go back to the Red and go down to H2 (which is one train of thought ie more spring less weight) or try the Hot White. Ultimately if I leave it alone I won't be upset but my OCD wants to find the "perfect set up." I know I know......

I should add running an RCA nitride BCG with Sprinco springs.
    I can only say that every time I tried to out weight the system, I felt more buck. So, yes I am in favor of less weight and more spring. Minimal experience playing with these but that has been my limited experience with H3's.

PB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I can only say that every time I tried to out weight the system, I felt more buck. So, yes I am in favor of less weight and more spring. Minimal experience playing with these but that has been my limited experience with H3's.

PB
    I started with the H3 at the recommendation of the can maker. I mean, he wasn't wrong. It cycles everything with that set up and runs ok. At this point I am just playing around. I am pretty sure I have at least one H2 on the bench so I will get a Hot White and go to the range with springs and weights and see which one works best. I kind of like figuring these things out. Interestingly enough every other rifle I have is an A5 with a Green spring. And those shoot so nice I don't care where they eject lol.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Now that I’ve been messing around with this Frankenstein 416, I keep asking myself…

How does ejection pattern fit in when dealing with legit piston systems like the 416?

We think it has merit because it is an indirect indicator of BCG speed but is it really as big an deal as in a gas gun?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast