Thread: Need advice on my first suppressor

Feedback Score

Need advice on my first suppressor

I have purchased my first suppressor, a Silencerco Harvester EVO. I should have the stamp in January or February. I plan to use it on a Colt LE6920 and a Colt AR15-A4. Other than a possible change to the POI, what other changes to the function of my rifles should I expect? I have read about issues with gas to the face, dwell time, etc. How common are problems due to adding a can?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Your bolt speed will increase. Some guys just blast away an never realize the difference, but I hate it. Your brass and bolt group will get filthy much faster. If a dirty gun bugs you, you'll be cleaning a lot more.

My AR suppressers have become paperweights in my safe. I rarely bring them out anymore.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIBZ View Post
    I have purchased my first suppressor, a Silencerco Harvester EVO. I should have the stamp in January or February. I plan to use it on a Colt LE6920 and a Colt AR15-A4. Other than a possible change to the POI, what other changes to the function of my rifles should I expect? I have read about issues with gas to the face, dwell time, etc. How common are problems due to adding a can?

Thanks in advance.
    For recoil impulse, look at your current buffer spring and weight set up. I believe the Colt has a carbine length system and comes with a .070 port size in the 6920 barrel? The fact you are using a 30 cal can on a 5.56 generally means less back pressure compared to a 5.56 can. Which also means it wont put as much gas to your face or speed up the BCG as much as a 5.56 can (excluding flow through stuff here.) But it will still put more gas back into the system. I would imagine you will want to start with increasing buffer weight and possibly a more stout spring like either Sprinco or a Geissele. Ejection patterns generally help give you an idea as to which way you need to go. But really you want to slow that bolt speed down as much as possible, while still retaining functionality, to reduce the added wear and tear on the system. You can also look at the BRT custom gas tubes as another tuning option. And finally, gas reducing charging handles can help minimize gas to the face. Some work better than others. Some say they are snake oil. From my experience the Geissele and new generation BCMs do a decent job on cutting it down. Oh, and ignore MarkM. He's just cranky because he can't hear anymore.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Oh, and ignore MarkM. He's just cranky because he can't hear anymore.
    HUH??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thank you, Markm and Dutch, for your insight.