Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting feeding and BHO on a new build

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Troubleshooting feeding and BHO on a new build

13.9" Rosco barrel, mid length gas system, standard buffer. When doing the last round BHO test, it fails to lock open. Tried different magazines and replaced the bolt catch. Tried adjustable gas block, it just fails to extract altogether when reducing gas pressure. The only thing I haven't tried is heavier buffer, but I would think I need less mass not more. I am thinking the gas port is too small. Any other ideas?
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Aren't barrels under 14.5" with mid-length gas typically biased toward suppressor use? Maybe you need a lighter than standard buffer or carrier if you aren't using one. Try pulling the weights out of the buffer and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What ammo? What buffer spring? Also check for gas leaks around the gas block and check to make sure the gas key isn't loose.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Aren't barrels under 14.5" with mid-length gas typically biased toward suppressor use? Maybe you need a lighter than standard buffer or carrier if you aren't using one. Try pulling the weights out of the buffer and see what happens.
    I'll give that a try. Suppressor is planned for this one, but I'd like it to run without one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    What ammo? What buffer spring? Also check for gas leaks around the gas block and check to make sure the gas key isn't loose.
    No leaks around gas block, that bolt was used in that upper with a different barrel prior and no issues.

I might just try a different barrel, with a carbine gas length.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Are you sure the gas block is properly aligned? What about gas tube to gas key alignment?
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Are you sure the gas block is properly aligned? What about gas tube to gas key alignment?
    Checked that first. I can see the gas residue around the gas port when I swapped to adjustable gas block. Gas tube protrudes the right amount into the upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisuello View Post
    13.9" Rosco barrel, mid length gas system, standard buffer. When doing the last round BHO test, it fails to lock open. Tried different magazines and replaced the bolt catch. Tried adjustable gas block, it just fails to extract altogether when reducing gas pressure. The only thing I haven't tried is heavier buffer, but I would think I need less mass not more. I am thinking the gas port is too small. Any other ideas?
    Ditch the adjustable block, they'll never seal up and be as efficient as a fixed block. Commonly when you have short stroke issues on systems where the port size is adequate, it points to the efficiency of the rest of the system (notably the gas tube fit and the BCG). I'd try another BCG in that upper before anything else.
    SOLGW Deputy Director of Sales

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bolt speed it too fast or too weak. If the recoil is "poppy" that "standard buffer" is too light. If the recoil is smooth or sluggish, you're not getting enough gas to fully cycle the bolt group.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since you are swapping gas blocks around, buy yourself a set of inexpensive pin gauges and measure the gas ports on your rifles when servicing them.

Not enough information to otherwise isolate your issue. But I do agree, ditch the AGB and let the good folks here know what RE - Buffer and Spring and bolt.

Complete rifle, built rifle (what components) or what?

More information.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Swapping in a known good BCG if available is always a good idea, right after confirming the bolt catch moves freely.

Check the gas tube for alignment, and for length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast