Thread: Glock 20 Gen 5 and Safariland retention holsters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock 20 Gen 5 and Safariland retention holsters.

Recently bought a Gen 5 G20 and learned it is unlike most makes of holsters for Gen 5 G19's which occasionally (at most) require material reshaping/removal to work around the ambi slide release.

To the best of my knowledge Safariland has not produced a Gen 5 G20 holster yet so I have been playing with what I have on hand(insert caveat about right hand only, this may pertain only to these specific examples, and no idea on Gen 5 G21 fit).

GLS Profit owb Standard size was the easy one. Safariland does not advertise it for a Gen 5, but they are multi fit and following the instructions had it fitting properly with a few hex key turns. Only not fit like a glove part is extending past the muzzle about 5/8", but preferable to exposing 5/8" of slide. No idea if this carries over to the iwb version.

No light version of a 7ts 7000 series(this particular one is 7378) was a total no go and where I learned there is some size difference forward of the trigger guard. The removal of material in the ambi slide stop area made almost no difference in lightening up the too snug fit and to the best of my knowledge the 7000 series are not designed to adjust friction fitting.

Two different 7000 series for light holsters produced slightly better results. These are the SF X300 and everything smaller versions with 7360 being a basket weave low duty belt loop mountand the other a smooth concealed carry high belt loop mount. A Streamlight TLR1 was a no go with the overall slide top to bottom of light size being too large to fit in the holster opening, but switching to a Tlr7 allowed the pistol plus light to fit
    Once the light was worked around, removing a standoff rib that interfered with the ambi slide release achieved a normal feel on drawing the pistol. No idea how this affects durability or all out retention, but obviously any warranty is gone.

6360(low duty belt loop) and 6379(high concealed belt loop) fit after loosening the screw that holds the locking block 1 to 2 turns and adjusting the locking block tension itself. No idea how this effects all out retention. Relieving some of the fabric liner for the ambi slide release makes no appreciable difference.

No 6000 light bearing holster on hand, but from looking at 9mm versions I would assume the larger size light issue would pop up and not sure if smaller lights would help.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-18-23 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    Have you called Safariland yet? I’ve called them several times over the years with holster questions and they’re usually pretty good about answers. Even my odd questions where you think they wouldn’t know what I was talking about. I know with more rare or unique holsters they wait until they have enough orders before making a run of that particular model.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Have you called Safariland yet? I’ve called them several times over the years with holster questions and they’re usually pretty good about answers. Even my odd questions where you think they wouldn’t know what I was talking about. I know with more rare or unique holsters they wait until they have enough orders before making a run of that particular model.
    No I haven't called them. Just not seeing Gen 5 20 or 21 on their page yet. Not on many other maker's pages either.