Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting and MK318 MOD 0 SOST (Graphic Images)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Deer Hunting and MK318 MOD 0 SOST (Graphic Images)

I shot a doe which I estimate at 100-120# on the hoof. The shot was taken with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR, suppressed. The distance was 90m. The deer ran 125m and promptly expired. At the impact site there was foamy blood with chunks (lung tissue). Within about 20 feet of where the deer lay, there was significant blood trail. I did not bother tracking all of it, because I could see where the deer piled up. The reaction to being shot was a shoulder twitch (or maybe that was impact?) and a little "startle kick" and then the deer took off running, keeping pace with the other 2, until it didn't. It just collapsed and died. The structures impacted were ribs upon entry, both lungs, and ribs upon exit. The angle was directly perpendicular to the shooter. Ammunition used was MK318 MOD 0 SOST.

This is the entrance, picture taken at site of recovery, after rolling the animal to expose entrance:

This is the exit, picture taken without moving the animal at site of recovery:

This is the entrance. Note the immediate appearance of expansion and disruption:

This is the lung tissue. Note the appearance of copper and lead fragments and small secondary channels caused by same (maybe not visible in photos):

Fragments were recovered from lung tissue (very small, not photographed).

This is the exit. Note fragments clearly visible embedded in rib and ribcage, as well as small secondary wound channels caused by other fragments:

Projectile entered from (photo) Right to Left:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice. I've not hunted with the Mk 318, but did shoot a doe several years ago with the 7.62 Mk 319 loading. Results were similar to yours, if slightly magnified by the larger caliber.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool, way better than Jello tests.

There was an article years ago about Field medics patching up a guy shot in the ass with that, blew a chunk out the front thigh and shattered the bone, looked like a bomb went off. The cheek that got holed was a giant purple bruise.
    Would have been DRT from getting shot in the ass but they saved him.

I picked up 500 rounds of the mod1 when TSUSA had it for 75¢ a pop.
    Shot 100 zeroing it to a rifle but that's about it, can't get anymore so I don't shoot it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not that you should care, your images do not load for me because I have Facebook blocked.

Feedback Score
    Good to see the results on actual meat. I have 1K of the Mod 0 as my grab-and-go first-line ammo choice. I have a lot of other good ammo but the Mk318 is my current go-to and all my 5.56 weapons that have been zeroed were done with it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I may be the only one who wishes people to stop using MKXXX when posting about ammo. Do you describe your ammo in those terms in your daily life? How about simplifying it to 62gr FMJ or whatever. Especially since not all ammo has such designations.

It would certainly save me some time researching.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I may be the only one who wishes people to stop using MKXXX when posting about ammo. Do you describe your ammo in those terms in your daily life? How about simplifying it to 62gr FMJ or whatever. Especially since not all ammo has such designations.

It would certainly save me some time researching.
    MK318 MOD 0 SOST or 1305-AB49 (Military part number, NSN 1305-01-573-2229) or T556NB1 (LE/Civilian sales) are the only designators for this ammunition. I describe it as MK318 MOD0 SOST because that is what I first came to know it as, as it was developed by Special Operations Science and Technology, however, "SOST" also covers MK319, and there is a MOD 1 and a MOD 0, so when describing this ammunition, MK318 MOD 0 SOST is the only sensible way to fully delineate what one is talking about. I would imagine it would save you more time than if I left you to guess if I meant 5.56 or 7.62, or MOD 1 or MOD 0, no?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Pretty damn cool photos and remarkable work on that rounds work on flesh. Well done on the kill also.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I may be the only one who wishes people to stop using MKXXX when posting about ammo. Do you describe your ammo in those terms in your daily life? How about simplifying it to 62gr FMJ or whatever. Especially since not all ammo has such designations. It would certainly save me some time researching.
    Using cartridge designations like that is better. When you say M# or Mk# you're talking about a particular load, standard, and specification. For example: There is only one Mk262 and a spec to meet but a bunch of people load 77 SMKs all over the map. Some think all 55 FMJs are M193, or all 62 steel core is M855. Also, "clone" shouldn't be used for any of that, unless they are meeting all the same specifications. Then there's M882, 1152/1153, Mk311, Mk254, which are all mil designations available on the shelf in commercial packaging and skus but may or may not be the same thing.

Goofy stuff on the commercial side, too. AcmeAmmo may load a 115 FMJ, but have variations with skus. Then again, a sku isn't always reliable either. Look at the revisions Federal did to the 147 HST (P9HST2) and 147 FMJ (AE9FP). "Same same but different...but still same."

Some people do it to be douchey or pretentious, but for others that's their world or they're nerds. It can matter, though.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some compare it to a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw but it's not the same.
    The BC deploys and retains the meat brakes.
    The 318's fragment and only retain the core, about 36gr.
    Designed specifically for barrels under 14" IIRC.
    OTM construction but not in the same category as a SMK either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast