Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Hunting and MK318 MOD 0 SOST (Graphic Images)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    Some compare it to a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw but it's not the same.
    The BC deploys and retains the meat brakes.
    The 318's fragment and only retain the core, about 36gr.
    Designed specifically for barrels under 14" IIRC.
    OTM construction but not in the same category as a SMK either.
    Exactly. It's a very unique bullet. The only thing out there similar is the 62gr CC by Lehigh, but even it differs significantly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Using cartridge designations like that is better. When you say M# or Mk# you're talking about a particular load, standard, and specification. For example: There is only one Mk262 and a spec to meet but a bunch of people load 77 SMKs all over the map. Some think all 55 FMJs are M193, or all 62 steel core is M855. Also, "clone" shouldn't be used for any of that, unless they are meeting all the same specifications. Then there's M882, 1152/1153, Mk311, Mk254, which are all mil designations available on the shelf in commercial packaging and skus but may or may not be the same thing.

Goofy stuff on the commercial side, too. AcmeAmmo may load a 115 FMJ, but have variations with skus. Then again, a sku isn't always reliable either. Look at the revisions Federal did to the 147 HST (P9HST2) and 147 FMJ (AE9FP). "Same same but different...but still same."

Some people do it to be douchey or pretentious, but for others that's their world or they're nerds. It can matter, though.
    When you put it like that it makes sense.

Is there a place where these are documented to include bullet characteristics and velocities?
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-24-23 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    When you put it like that it makes sense.

Is there a place where these are documented to include bullet characteristics and velocities?
    https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...ioniii8524.pdf

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That's pretty awesome, thanks. I've got a few hundred rounds of that bouncing around, maybe I'll use that next year.

You know... if I see a F(#&%()*$@ deer during gun week.

Feedback Score
    As was mentioned previously, the Mk318 was designed to essentially have the front half of the bullet fragment violently while the rear half punched on through for some penetration.

I've not heard the cartridge bad-mouthed. The M855A1 is it's closest military-issued rival, and opinions vary on which takes top spot. Of course the M855A1 has a good deal more chamber pressure driving it (as well as accelerated parts wear).

I think the M855A1 (if you can find it and it will cost $$$) is the only choice these days as the Mk318 isn't manufactured anymore. I'm glad I snagged what I could.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    As was mentioned previously, the Mk318 was designed to essentially have the front half of the bullet fragment violently while the rear half punched on through for some penetration.

I've not heard the cartridge bad-mouthed. The M855A1 is it's closest military-issued rival, and opinions vary on which takes top spot. Of course the M855A1 has a good deal more chamber pressure driving it (as well as accelerated parts wear).

I think the M855A1 (if you can find it and it will cost $$$) is the only choice these days as the Mk318 isn't manufactured anymore. I'm glad I snagged what I could.
    Federal does make in on occasion. They have a contract for it with an LE agency. Such a great round
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12