Thread: WWII Jeep-inspired 14.7” Lightweight Ambi Carbine

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

WWII Jeep-inspired 14.7” Lightweight Ambi Carbine

Though I realized along the way that Battle Arms Development has done something similar, this was bouncing around my mind for a couple years.

After I acquired the PWS lower at a local gun store (always call before ordering that good deal online), the project came together. I sort of did this with my son, who just started going to the range with me this year. Assembled as a pistol first, of course.

PURPOSE
    This was assembled with quality parts to be fully ambidextrous with color and design intended to point back to WWII jeeps. It is truly “general use” AKA “GP” AKA Jeep. Optic is still TBD. And, I have parts to do a second upper as an 8” 300BLK. Summary: I built it as a project to build skill and waste money.

PARTS
    PWS MK1 Mod 2-M Lower Receiver - One of only three fully ambidextrous lower receivers readily available after its redesign. It is somewhat lightened. The bolt catch is nicely oversized, which is really the only functional difference from the LMT MARS-L.

PWS Enhanced Carbine Receiver Extension - This was a compromise. I use A5 almost exclusively, but this saved weight and continued with PWS parts.

LAW Tactical Folder 3-M - I almost went with a Navy fighter theme since this would have been like “folding wings,” but the Jeep won out. Ultimately, the folder is cool, but it also pushes the LOP out a bit, which matters since the stock is fixed. It works; it’s nice. I probably won’t use again.

FCD Castle Nut - It’s nice.

BCM QD End Plate - Originally, I was going to use the PWS Ratchet set, but…nah. As a bonus, the BCM star is faintly visible, and that keeps with the jeep theme.

Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock - Saves a bit of weight, keeps the aesthetic. BONUS: I kept the butt end unpainted, so it’s like tire treads.

Geissele Super Tricon - It’s a nice but non-precision build, so I put my favorite trigger in it. This is the second Tricon in use by me, with a third soon to go in another lower. It is exactly what I want in a trigger, and I have used SSA-E springs for a lighter trigger pull…though not in this case.

Radian Talon - My favorite safety, and what comes standard in complete PWS lowers. Black…This may be switched out for a clear anodized version that is currently on its way to me. Coloring looks like it will flow with the wrap on the receiver extension. And black doesn’t work well. I could also paint.

Bootleg Enhanced Upper Receiver - I like these. Forged and slightly lightened. The design matches the PWS (sister company) lower. Notes: Current production is not forged. I grabbed several of these as they have come available on forums, TacSwap, etc. Purchased as a complete factory upper…more on that in a moment. Note 2: The upper is *tight*. Definitely undersized for the barrel extension; I couldn’t get my PCG tool in to square the receiver.

Bootleg 13” Piclok Handguard - These use a KMR barrel nut. It’s fairly lightweight and the design flows with the receivers. The combo 1913/ M-LOK sections at the end are not much use to me with this build, but you never know. I almost purchased V7’s titanium hardware to pair with it…but there is a point at which saving weight and spending money don’t balance out.

Ballistic Advantage 14.7” Pencil Barrel - This is the first departure from PWS/Bootleg. I stripped the factory upper and sold the included 14.5” government/slightly heavier than government profile barrel. It was chrome lined and appeared to be quality, but I specifically wanted to build on the lightweight theme of the receivers. The BA barrel fit the design requirements at a closeout price. This also keeps my selection of muzzle devices open. I considered a Right To Bear 13.9” Pencil barrel (made by BA), but the handguard was just barely too long to pair with a KeyMo- equipped suppressor.

Centurion .625 Gas Block - Snug fit and light…would expect nothing less. I originally purchased a lightweight Faxon gas block, but that thing nearly rattled around the gas block journal.

CMMG Midlength Gas Tube

Bootleg 4-Position Adjustable BCG - Primarily used to continue the PWS/Bootleg theme. The BCG was used for a short time on a BCM 300BLK upper. Theoretically, it’s cool. I may mess with the gas to see if I can tune it. I may switch this later (reference potential 300BLK upper coming soon).

Radian Raptor LT - PWS-branded. I typically use SD-SL’s these days. So this was a compromise to keep with PWS. Black…I recognize that like the Talon, this is a heavy wear point, so paint isn’t ideal. I have a currently-unused Raptor/Q SL clear anodized, so if the safety looks good, this may be switched out.

Dead Air KeyMicro Flash Hider (5.56) - This was the perfect situation to pin an A2, but I went with the shortest KeyMo compatible device on hand to reach well over 16”. Pinned, though I know how to drill out if I ever want to go shorter or switch to Rearden mounts. All my builds have KeyMo devices at this point, because I have one can and another on the way. Might as well be able to use them on any rifle. When assessing the RTB 13.9” barrel, I considered pairing with a BRT Covert Comp that I have on hand; that may be the perfect combo, but I stuck with the original plan.

Holosun 509T on clear anodized Reptilia DOT - It’s what I had available. This will be changed. But…it’s also what made me see the potential of the clear anodized parts. This will likely end up on the referenced 300BLK upper.

jeep-themed elements
    34087 Lusterless “Khaki” Olive Drab spray paint - The correct color for WWII jeeps (maybe 1943 and later?). Two notes: I originally was going to use the red zinc primer that would have been correct, but I only noticed the can had leaked and sealed itself after prep was done. Second, the paint does wear. As much prep as I did…it is what it is. I really appreciate the color. It blended in at the end of summer and still into fall.
    I am going to do a wash with brown and likely also black paint wash…throwback to plastic modeling when I was a young teenager. BAD does a really good job with this on their Tanker carbine. I’m hoping that the wash draws out some more detail while making it look “in use.” I’m sure once actually used, I’ll have some orange NC dirt spackled on it.

JMCustom walnut checkered grip and M-Lok panels - I like how they look. WWII = wood, even if it isn’t necessarily that true.

The wrap around the receiver extension is intended to point toward canvas seats used in jeeps or the rope often seen tied to jeeps in pictures.

In retrospect, Cerakote would have been perfect for this. But I like having anodizing and am also cheap.

Pictures of current state below… I’ll have to get some true glamor shots at some point once it is “finished,” so grabbing the next two posts for a second upper and additional pics. Don’t judge my lawn, we didn’t move in in time to kill the marshpennywort. I hate that stuff.

Reference points of several used. Yeah, I know one is Canadian.

Weight with optic mounted: 6lb 10.2oz

PERFORMANCE
    Well, I don’t know yet. Please hold.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 11-26-23 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    I dig it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Placeholder

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    300BLK UPPER

Parts List

Bootleg Enhanced upper receiver

Bootleg 7” Piclok handguard

BCM KMR hardware kit

BRT 8” 300BLK barrel, 1/5 twist
    BRT gas block
    BRT pistol length gas tube

Dead Air KeyMicro brake, 5.56 (the only brake I own, I think; Lanbo’s has killer prices)

Bootleg Adjustable BCG

FarrowTech carbon fiber foregrip

Radian Raptor Q

Holosun 509T
    Reptilia DOT 1.93

Surefire X300U

I probably will keep this as a separate upper for my SBR’s, which is where it is mounted now. The Jeep carbine is what it is and is great, but I don’t want to SBR it. I have a pistol brace I might throw on again at some point.

Here’s the complete upper:

Last edited by JediGuy; 12-29-23 at 07:37.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Very neat.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Normally I think themed firearms are cringy at best but this is tastefully done. The colors work well together, everything has a purpose and nothing is gaudy at all. Well done.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Normally I think themed firearms are cringy at best but this is tastefully done. The colors work well together, everything has a purpose and nothing is gaudy at all. Well done.
    Thanks. It’s actually going to get used, too.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Updated with final upper details and picture. I ended up putting the upper on a different lower, but it’s still cool. I really do like the Bootleg upper and handguard.

Feedback Score
    This looks great, love the concept and execution.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    This looks great, love the concept and execution.
    Thanks!