Thread: 70gr TSX vs Deer

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

70gr TSX vs Deer

I estimate this deer at 110# live weight. I shot it 1 hour before I left for work, so the autopsy of soft tissue regarding lungs etc. Will have to be verbal. I noted significant blood in the chest cavity upon splitting the sternum. The path through the lung tissue was roughly 1.25-1.5" across. No fragmentation was noted. The damage to the liver was roughly the size of a nickel. Due to the frontal nature of the shot (the deer was very nearly facing me dead on, albeit with his left shoulder and rear him slightly toward me, the projectile's path through the vitals was not as "text book" as a broadside shot which somewhat limits our ability to ascertain its terminal disruption. However, the projectile seems to have a deep and more narrow wound path with sharp demarcation which indicates good velocity through the target as well as sharp edges, as opposed to a round like the RA556B or similar which adopt a more "blob" shape.) The projectile did not seem to directly impact the spine but did pass very near. He immediately locked up and went down and did not move again. Blood at the site was minimal and mainly from his nose/mouth. The rest of the pertinent data follows in a video I will upload.

Weapon: 11.5" sbr
    Ammo: 70gr tsx
    Range: 95m
    Estimated impact velocity based on prior 100m chrono data for this weapon and ammo: 2350fps

Feedback Score
    May also consider posting the width of the “mushroom”. Many would find that more useful than the length.

The 70 gr TSX is a very good bullet. I’ve killed quite a few deer with it including some 200 lb bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    May also consider posting the width of the “mushroom”. Many would find that more useful than the length.

The 70 gr TSX is a very good bullet. I’ve killed quite a few deer with it including some 200 lb bucks.

I did. It was uniform with an extreme spread across petals of 0.4562".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I did. It was uniform with an extreme spread across petals of 0.4562".
    Sorry, on my phone I guess it didn’t load.

Feedback Score
    Looks like perfect bullet performance; 100% weight retention and double diameter expansion. Thanks for taking the time to put together the post.

I got hooked on Barnes bullets when I started shooting the 110 gr load in 300 blackout. Keep the speed where it needs to be and they do great.

Plus they don’t fragment and leave little chunks of lead in the meat like other bullets (77TMK, for instance). I also like the solid coppers for their weight retention that helps the penetration, like you got on this doe.

Now, throw some of the back strap on a hot pan with some bacon grease and enjoy!
    Last edited by SBRSarge; 11-29-23 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    Looks like perfect bullet performance; 100% weight retention and double diameter expansion. Thanks for taking the time to put together the post.

I got hooked on Barnes bullets when I started shooting the 110 gr load in 300 blackout. Keep the speed where it needs to be and they do great.

Plus they don’t fragment and leave little chunks of lead in the meat like other bullets (77TMK, for instance). I also like the solid coppers for their weight retention that helps the penetration, like you got on this doe.

Now, throw some of the back strap on a hot pan with some bacon grease and enjoy!
    I know he's small, but you don't have to misgender my deer, rofl!

Yeah, I wish I could have tracked the bullet better/traced its path. If I had known where it ended up, I think I would have better been able to trace it to its destination. As it was, I think I lost its path in the field dressing process. Regardless, this is a 1.75moa 10-shot group load in this 11.5" gun, and I really like it. Even though it only passed near the spine, it caused an instant "lock-up" and drop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I know he's small, but you don't have to misgender my deer, rofl!

Yeah, I wish I could have tracked the bullet better/traced its path. If I had known where it ended up, I think I would have better been able to trace it to its destination. As it was, I think I lost its path in the field dressing process. Regardless, this is a 1.75moa 10-shot group load in this 11.5" gun, and I really like it. Even though it only passed near the spine, it caused an instant "lock-up" and drop.
    But what matters is, what did he identify as when you popped him, lol.

And hey, a 1.75 moa load that is this effective will do well for whitetail all day long.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Great data. Thanks for the post!
    nawai

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Great take. Superb thread. Well done, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."