Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the Federal Fusion MSR .308 150gr stack up?

Feedback Score

How does the Federal Fusion MSR .308 150gr stack up?

[the MSR version, not the regular one]

Ballistically they look pretty good. I know the .223 version has gotten a couple thumb's-up from a few of our resident BTDT types.......what about the .308 MSR version? I would think that it is essentially a larger caliber with the same bullet design only larger in diameter and weight, and therefore better terminal effects (?). Like the .223 version on steroids.

Opinions? Thinking about ordering some, no bolt guns involved.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Haven't used the .30 version/no opinion, but tacking on an extra question.

Wouldn't the 7.62x51(or however they name it) be loaded lighter than .308 Winchester? Most everything I have seen claims 7.62x51 vs .308 Win. is the loading pressure opposite of 5.56x45 vs. .223 Rem..

.223 MSR version works great on KY Whitetails especially considering the frequent wisdom various 7mm and .30 magnums are required to down a 120lbs to 200lbs animal.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-02-23 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Wouldn't the 7.62x51(or however they name it) be loaded lighter than .308 Winchester? Most everything I have seen claims 7.62x51 vs .308 Win. is the loading pressure opposite of 5.56x45 vs. .223 Rem..
    Winchester 7.62 NATO/7.62x51 149gr and Winchester 150gr soft point have a nominal 30fps difference. 2790 vs 2820. That's likely within the margin of error more than anything.

Bottom line, the two cartridges are close enough not to be worth treating differently. An MSR load likely is just loaded with powder intended for shorter barrels and AR gas systems.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Haven't used the .30 version/no opinion, but tacking on an extra question.

.223 MSR version works great on KY Whitetails especially considering the frequent wisdom various 7mm and .30 magnums are required to down a 120lbs to 200lbs animal.
    Yes, the 7.62 vs .308 is the opposite of 5.56 vs .223. However, being as it's an "MSR" load it should be made for semi-autos (as Alpha-17 pointed out).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've only seen the 165gr/168gr (can't remember which) MSR load used. From a 16" AR10 belonging to my buddy.

Great results on hog and whitetail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I've only seen the 165gr/168gr (can't remember which) MSR load used. From a 16" AR10 belonging to my buddy.

Great results on hog and whitetail.
    The 165gr load is only available in the "regular" (i.e. non-MSR) format. Doubt there is much of a difference to be honest. I'd like a 165gr MSR loading but settled for the 150gr version from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It was $29.99 per box of 20, so taxed and delivered for 400 rounds was $694. Pretty steep, but it was the best price I found online.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The 165gr load is only available in the "regular" (i.e. non-MSR) format. Doubt there is much of a difference to be honest. I'd like a 165gr MSR loading but settled for the 150gr version from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It was $29.99 per box of 20, so taxed and delivered for 400 rounds was $694. Pretty steep, but it was the best price I found online.
    Gotcha. It was his ammo and he obviously was just using normal Fusion. Noted and thank you for the correction.

Yeah MSR seems to add 75-150fps over normal Fusion...making 150gr + ~100fps a potent round.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    Gotcha. It was his ammo and he obviously was just using normal Fusion. Noted and thank you for the correction.

Yeah MSR seems to add 75-150fps over normal Fusion...making 150gr + ~100fps a potent round.
    LOL No corrections bro, I only found that out myself as I browsed the Federal website. Unless I had looked into it I would have thought the MSR vs non-MSR product was a wash! Honestly, I don't think the difference is that great, but since they had one for a semi-auto vs a bolt gun I went for it. I would really like a 165gr MSR.....to me that would be the perfect balance of weight and velocity in an action it was designed for.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    LOL No corrections bro, I only found that out myself as I browsed the Federal website. Unless I had looked into it I would have thought the MSR vs non-MSR product was a wash! Honestly, I don't think the difference is that great, but since they had one for a semi-auto vs a bolt gun I went for it. I would really like a 165gr MSR.....to me that would be the perfect balance of weight and velocity in an action it was designed for.
    Right on.

Yeah I actually dismissed MSR for the first several years after its release. Until I saw chrono results across multiple cals really bringing the heat.

I prefer 165-168gr for 16" AR10's (and my 22" Tikka in 308 as well). Still using my stash of 168gr Trophy Bonded Tip and the Federal Tactical 165gr version of the same load. It's a tipped TBBC with a boat tail, using GMM primer/powder/brass. VERY accurate and superb on-target. BUT, they stopped making it.

So, like you, a 165-168gr MSR round would literally be my first choice to replace my Trophy Bonded Tip stash, if Federal ever chose to make it.

Feedback Score
    Right on.

Yeah I actually dismissed MSR for the first several years after its release. Until I saw chrono results across multiple cals really bringing the heat.

I prefer 165-168gr for 16" AR10's (and my 22" Tikka in 308 as well). Still using my stash of 168gr Trophy Bonded Tip and the Federal Tactical 165gr version of the same load. It's a tipped TBBC with a boat tail, using GMM primer/powder/brass. VERY accurate and superb on-target. BUT, they stopped making it.

So, like you, a 165-168gr MSR round would literally be my first choice to replace my Trophy Bonded Tip stash, if Federal ever chose to make it.
    Would those roughly be the .30 caliber equivalent of the vaunted "FBI Load" in 5.56? What is it, the XM556FBIT3M?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast