Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Marlin 1894C 357 $1,300 ???

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Pretty nuts. I bought my "Real" JM Marlin 1894/357 back in 2008 for $450 new.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Same here, but in 2006. It's a gem. IIRC the tag said $419.99.

In 2008 I got one in stainless chambered in 44mag for about $600. It was right as remlins were becoming thing, but I got a good one. No JM stamp, but fit, finish and function are all good.

$1300 for a tried and true lever gun is a lot. But I think Ruger will need a good track record before they can start asking that as the norm. The prices will have to drop some or they will have to wait a pretty long time for that track record to build.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Myself, I prefer pre-safety Marlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Myself, I prefer pre-safety Marlins.

As do I, but they are not making them anymore.

There are a lot of once reasonably priced guns that are honestly too expensive. I really like my 357 1894C and they make a great "brush gun" but jeez, $1300?

Andy

Feedback Score
    I think these Rugers are worth $1000 all day.

They sell at a premium to Henry’s but the Ruger is more of an upgrade with both materials and manufacturing. Both companies have outstanding customer service and support. I do like my Henry’s but my next new lever will be a new Marlin.

Don’t try using AR economics on this rifle. Both are great but different. I see quality lever guns as more of an heirloom, fun gun. Sure it can serve for hunting or self defense but for me, it’s a range gun first. Kinda like a Glock versus a wood and blue S&W or Ruger wheel gun.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I think these Rugers are worth $1000 all day.

They sell at a premium to Henry’s but the Ruger is more of an upgrade with both materials and manufacturing. Both companies have outstanding customer service and support. I do like my Henry’s but my next new lever will be a new Marlin.

Don’t try using AR economics on this rifle. Both are great but different. I see quality lever guns as more of an heirloom, fun gun. Sure it can serve for hunting or self defense but for me, it’s a range gun first. Kinda like a Glock versus a wood and blue S&W or Ruger wheel gun.

YMMV.

Nothing against Ruger, but for $1000 I would be looking for a used JM carbine. Then again, I am hoping to get the cards to line up and buy a new Winchester 1895 for around the same price, and they aren't even USA made.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-25-23 at 11:37.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Pretty nuts. I bought my "Real" JM Marlin 1894/357 back in 2008 for $450 new.
    That’s a pretty good deal. When word got out that Marlin was going out of business I bought a new 1894C (& a couple 336’s (.30-30 & .35 Rem) in 2010 & a couple used Classics (.218 Bee & .25-20) and I gave $582 OTD for it (the .357).

I really like Marlin lever actions so I also have a pre-Safety 1894 (.44 Mag) & a 336 (.30-30), as well as the 1894 Cowboy’s (.357 & .45 Colt), an 1895 Cowboy (.45-70), and an 1897 Texan (.22 LR), all “JM” marked. None are for sale but they’re still fun to shoot.

I’m glad I bought them when I did because these new Rugers are out of my price range.
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 12-27-23 at 03:44. Reason: Spellling

Feedback Score

New Marlin 1894C 357 $1,300 ???

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Nothing against Ruger, but for $1000 I would be looking for a used JM carbine. Then again, I am hoping to get the cards to line up and buy a new Winchester 1895 for around the same price, and they aren't even USA made.

Andy
    By most accounts, the Ruger is a better built gun than the JM’s. That isn’t to say the JM’s are not good guns…just the modern machining makes for a tighter gun.

I get the idea of the JM’s, as I have an old M94 that while banged up and a bit worn, has a ton of charm. I do love the old Marlins. But they are no bargain these days.

Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 12-27-23 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    That’s a pretty good deal. When word got out that Marlin was going out of business I bought a new 1894C (& a couple 336’s (.30-30 & .35 Rem) in 2010 & a couple used Classics (.218 Bee & .25-20) and I gave $582 OTD for it (the .357).

I really like Marlin lever actions so I also have a pre-Safety 1894 (.44 Mag) & a 336 (.30-30), as well as the 1894 Cowboy’s (.357 & .45 Colt), an 1895 Cowboy (.45-70), and an 1897 Texan (.22 LR), all “JM” marked. None are for sale but they’re still fun to shoot.

I’m glad I bought them when I did because these new Rugers are out of my price range.
    Nice! What a cool collection!

Feedback Score
    Just saw 1894 “Cowboy” Ruger-Marlins for a grand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    By most accounts, the Ruger is a better built gun than the JM’s. That isn’t to say the JM’s are not good guns…just the modern machining makes for a tighter gun.

I get the idea of the JM’s, as I have an old M94 that while banged up and a bit worn, has a ton of charm. I do love the old Marlins. But they are no bargain these days.
    You’re probably right on all counts, Ruger builds good guns. When I bought my JM”s there was no indication the Marlin lever actions would ever be built again so I bought what I could afford at the time. I wish I would have bought one of those .444 Carbines too but I guess you can’t have everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12