Thread: The Hornady 4DOF Calculator App

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The Hornady 4DOF Calculator App

Anyone try this free app yet? I ran it yesterday and it seems to be really good.

I'm not usually one to use much of anything on the cell phone, but this app beats a paper dope sheet because it does your shooting angle, azmuth/direction, and lets you quick set your wind speed and value.

I've only loaded one gun/load so far, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm planning to use it as soon as I can get out to the long range. Shooting buddies have told me its good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I'm planning to use it as soon as I can get out to the long range. Shooting buddies have told me its good.
    I'm truly a pencil and paper luddite, but this thing isn't too challenging to run at all once you load your basics.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Anyone try this free app yet? I ran it yesterday and it seems to be really good.

I'm not usually one to use much of anything on the cell phone, but this app beats a paper dope sheet because it does your shooting angle, azmuth/direction, and lets you quick set your wind speed and value.

I've only loaded one gun/load so far, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    I'd like to hear how this works for you. I'm at a similar stage. I haven't taken past 200 yet (different range) but have 3 profiles setup. I added the Group Analysis for load development (makes reading groups easy) and will probably add Range Cards.

I'm hopeful. It says i'll need 9.6 mil come up at 1000 for my 223 bolt frankengun. 88 ELD @ 2750 in a 26" barrel w/custom VLD chamber. Standard length action/mags. Way too long for a AR length mag.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    I'm hopeful. It says i'll need 9.6 mil come up at 1000 for my 223 bolt frankengun. 88 ELD @ 2750 in a 26" barrel w/custom VLD chamber. Standard length action/mags. Way too long for a AR length mag.
    That is freakishly close to the load I'm using in the App. 88 gr ELDM going 2745 fps.

The only minor complaint I have is that to dial out far, like 1000 yards, the distance slider takes forever. It'll dial 1 yard at a time, so you're swiping quite a bit to get long ranges... and even going from 750 to 1000, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That is freakishly close to the load I'm using in the App. 88 gr ELDM going 2745 fps.

The only minor complaint I have is that to dial out far, like 1000 yards, the distance slider takes forever. It'll dial 1 yard at a time, so you're swiping quite a bit to get long ranges... and even going from 750 to 1000, etc.
    You can type the range in.Touch the highlighted number on the scale (red in my app) and a popup opens to manually enter it.

What COL are you using? I've got 2.373" and a book max charge of N140 using 556 data.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've listened to a couple of the Hornady podcasts discussing the 4DOF app. They claim the big advantage of 4DOF is using projectiles in their bullet library to make much more sophisticated calculations than the simpler BC/muzzle velocity calculators. They also strongly encourage using the "zero angle" feature instead of "zero range" to make it less sensitive to weather conditions (if I remember right). It was interesting. I've been using it a bit. I still need to play with the zero angle idea. But it seems pretty accurate so far.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    You can type the range in.Touch the highlighted number on the scale (red in my app) and a popup opens to manually enter it.

What COL are you using? I've got 2.373" and a book max charge of N140 using 556 data.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm loading the 88s to 2.50" with 23.8 gr of Varget and Wolf SRM primers.

Feedback Score
    Ill have to compare it.
    Strelok has never let me down out to 1k with 5.56.
    You just have to mentally calculat for spindrift.