Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory AR’s - I’m impressed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    During acceptance testing of new M4 carbines, they are allowed to fail ejector springs after 3,000 rounds on half the weapons under test, and still get a "PASS".

During acceptance testing of new M4 Carbines, they are allowed to fail ALL of their extractor springs after 3,600 rounds, and still get a "PASS".

Gas rings must last at least 1,200 rounds, for a "PASS".

During extended endurance testing, 36,000 rounds per gun with ten guns, the Army averaged barrel life at 5,800 rounds.

Having looked at many pictures of M4s and M16 parts tested to 6,000 rounds, I can say that nothing on the PSA upper in Garand Thumb's video looks abnormal.

Reports from Henderson Defense indicate PSA bolts give good service and last a long time.

I have finished repairs my Nomex coat, so I will go out on a limb here and state that from all the information I have gathered, I feel an standard sample size of PSA Carbines would successfully pass MIL-DTL-71186B acceptance.
    So let me start by agreeing with you on your points, I have gone through the MIL-DTL-71186B, and I think that the PSA GT tested would have passed said tests, but I think a lot of brands would also have passed said testing quite easily. What the rifle tested doesn't do is exceed those standards, where as the rifles above (My posts on EAG testing a BCM Middy and a 6940) and many others seem to exceed those limits quite easily. I say this because the MIL-DTL-71186B keeps in mind that there is a logistical and personnel component of the military that is there to service said weapons, and I as a civilian (Prepper, Armed Prepared Citizen, whatever) doesn't have that support component. I didn't even need to change my gas rings at 6k rds on my 2012 DD V5 but just thought I should anyway.

I would say that a PSA is a great force multiplier and I would rather have a neighborhood with 10 people with a PSA rifle then 2 with Knights and the 8 with some combination 870's and Ruger American's, but for my piece of mind I would rather go with something that is more proven personally.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    That is about as long as the Army expects an ejector spring to last . . .

Just out of curiosity, how long would you expect a Colt or other "better" weapon to last?
    First let me thank you for your contributions, I look forward to them, and appreciate them. I'm not engaged in abusive conditions but I expect my Colts to last at least as long as the protocols specified. In other words, until the cows come home.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    So let me start by agreeing with you on your points, I have gone through the MIL-DTL-71186B, and I think that the PSA GT tested would have passed said tests, but I think a lot of brands would also have passed said testing quite easily. What the rifle tested doesn't do is exceed those standards, where as the rifles above (My posts on EAG testing a BCM Middy and a 6940) and many others seem to exceed those limits quite easily. I say this because the MIL-DTL-71186B keeps in mind that there is a logistical and personnel component of the military that is there to service said weapons, and I as a civilian (Prepper, Armed Prepared Citizen, whatever) doesn't have that support component. I didn't even need to change my gas rings at 6k rds on my 2012 DD V5 but just thought I should anyway.

I would say that a PSA is a great force multiplier and I would rather have a neighborhood with 10 people with a PSA rifle then 2 with Knights and the 8 with some combination 870's and Ruger American's, but for my piece of mind I would rather go with something that is more proven personally.
    nailed it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post

I also agree with this post. Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That is about as long as the Army expects an ejector spring to last . . .

Just out of curiosity, how long would you expect a Colt or other "better" weapon to last?
    Understood.

I’m not one of the “Colt” fans…I don’t own one but nothing against the guns. I’m not a fan of the prior Colt company…no opinion on how CZ merger will work but I am optimistic.

Based on my previous experience and research, I would expect a barrel to last and give decent service beyond 10K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fully agree with the positive vibes about PSA arming the masses. Its hard to find a parking lot in my home AO without a dozen PSA stickers, and there is a heartwarmingly high rate of firearm ownership in this area. A well-armed society.

Lysander, my skepticism toward their rifles isn’t that none of them work right. Its that they don’t seem concerned about putting out bad ones alongside the good ones. Garand Thumb is a social media “influencer”, which is code for “freelance guerrilla marketer”. I suspect that he has cost tiers of overtness, or not, given that rifles tend to get good reviews, but his declared ads tend to be for less expensive, tangentially related things. If he received a perfect specimen, that would be no surprise. Though, they don’t seem to know what to look for when cherrypicking sometimes either, such as the AK that shit the bed with TFB, got fixed, came back, still wouldn’t run right, so the ammo got blamed. Meanwhile, I’ve put a case of that exact Ukrainian ammo, produced in the same year, through an actual Russian gun with zero stoppages, alongside a couple cases of Russian stuff. In poor conditions. With mags of varying quality.

And when they make a mistake, they try to bubba it instead of scrapping parts. A great example would be the feedramps on their 9mm Colt mag lowers. They drilled the pinhole on at least some, if not all, .061” too distal from the ramp. Instead of tossing those ramps, they put an L-shaped aluminum shim beneath them, and they simply sit that much higher. Easy solution, right? Wrong. You cannot attach an upper with a bolt installed before first grinding, filing, and whatnot…..so they sold them as stripped lowers, knowing that a percentage of them would never get assembled anyway. Easy for them to know with their business model, which is also one of the ways they know exactly what ammo their customers use.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    For the purposes of a range rifle... I suppose if I lived 100 miles away from a shooting range or only had a handful of days per year to shoot, then the potential of a QC issue to arise and ruin my day might be worthy of consideration. However, I'm retired and built my home close to the club so have no reason to fret over such things.

The one PSA I have went through four cases of M193 without a hiccup. I think I'll have it engraved MIL-DTL-71186B.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Understood.

I’m not one of the “Colt” fans…I don’t own one but nothing against the guns. I’m not a fan of the prior Colt company…no opinion on how CZ merger will work but I am optimistic.

Based on my previous experience and research, I would expect a barrel to last and give decent service beyond 10K
    To be fair, the PSA barrel tested was subjected to a succession of mag dumps, three at a time, then allowed to cool, then rinse and repeat. That will shorten barrel life.

SUSTAINED RATE OF FIRE FOR THE M16 SERIES RIFLES AND M4 SERIES CARBINES IS 12-15 ROUNDS PER MINUTE. THIS IS THE ACTUAL RATE OF FIRE THAT A WEAPON CAN CONTINUE TO BE FIRED FOR AN Indefinite LENGTH OF TIME WITHOUT SERIOUS OVERHEATING.

1 M4.JPG

https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News...id-a-cook-off/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    To be fair, the PSA barrel tested was subjected to a succession of mag dumps, three at a time, then allowed to cool, then rinse and repeat. That will shorten barrel life.

SUSTAINED RATE OF FIRE FOR THE M16 SERIES RIFLES AND M4 SERIES CARBINES IS 12-15 ROUNDS PER MINUTE. THIS IS THE ACTUAL RATE OF FIRE THAT A WEAPON CAN CONTINUE TO BE FIRED FOR AN Indefinite LENGTH OF TIME WITHOUT SERIOUS OVERHEATING.

1 M4.JPG

https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News...id-a-cook-off/
    Yet, everyone needs their silencer to survive 33 cyclic mag dumps in a row for some reason.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    With OEM 1&2 Colts available for $750 & less, I still just don’t understand why people even consider anything less.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast