Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What NV/IR/Thermal unit is movable from one weapon to another?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You can use thermal during the day. Keep in mind that thermal you are looking at a screen not looking through a lens, generally cheaper thermal will have lower resolution and slower refresh rates.

You really need to define what your use is going to be, there are some pretty decent hunting scopes in your price range but just like any scope they have to be zeroed to the rifle. A decent clip on is going to be 2x + and swapping between rifles you have to deal with mount height and collimation.

Lots of youtube hunting vids like the one below, you can just do a search for thermal scopes.

Last edited by mack7.62; 12-21-23 at 10:15.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    It’s my understanding that with most thermal scopes you can store multiple zeros so swapping between rifles is actually easier than using a clip on for multiple rifles.

Feedback Score
    So my buddy's son is home on leave for Christmas. He is a Marine Sergeant and his job specialty is working on optics, so he is well-versed in all things thermal/IR/NV. I specifically had him look up the SIG Echo-3 on his phone and he was able to explain, in layman's terms, why it might not be a good choice. The "refresh rate" it has wouldn't work in, for example, trying to clear a room in the dark. He said if you swung it from one side of the room to the other rather quickly (like any normal person would do in such a situation) that the screen would have a "delay".....if swinging right to left you might be to the 12 o'clock of the room but what you would be seeing is the 2 o'clock on the screen. He said that was an oversimplified explanation but I got the point.

For my uses he suggested a good NV optic with an IR "painter" light for those total-blackout situations, like a pitch-black room or thick summertime woods without a moon.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    It would help to clearly define your use case and the terrain/scenarios you expect to use them in.

However, in general:

Detection of living things = thermal
    Stationary observation & detection = thermal
    Stationary shooting = thermal and/or NV
    Navigation = NV
    Anything dynamic =NV
    *not saying you couldn’t interchange thermal with NV with any of the above use cases, but this is how I think most would align these per use case*

With thermal you either have helmet mounted (HMT), hand held, stand alone scope (WMT) or Clip on. You can accomplish these with individual units or with a unit that is at some level capable of most or all of this.

With NV, you’re typically looking at a helmet mounted unit and using it to move around with and shoot with either actively (with an IR aiming laser) or passively (looking through a NV capable optic). An IR flashlight enhances the NV capability.

Hope this helps understand best fit per use case.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    ABNAK,

Here’s a good video that covers my last post and more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHflvwNJ3cs

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I need something to eradicate beavers that are causing a lot of damage and to bust the occasional coyote. I saw this today and the reviews look OK. For $350 it might just be worth a shot for my needs.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sigh...e-sm18011.html
    Last edited by flenna; 01-03-24 at 12:07.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I need something to eradicate beavers that are causing a lot of damage and to bust the occasional coyote. I saw this today and the reviews look OK. For $350 it might just be worth a shot for my needs.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sigh...e-sm18011.html
    That is not a thermal, that is a digital scope with a IR flashlight attached. Think digital camera turned into a rifle scope, they are improving and allow you to somewhat see in the dark but are pretty weak compared to real NV.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-03-24 at 12:52.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That is not a thermal, that is a digital scope with a IR flashlight attached. Think digital camera turned into a rifle scope, they are improving and allow you to somewhat see in the dark but are pretty weak compared to real NV.
    Yes, I understand that but I think it will work for beaver shots (can I say that?) which will probably be under 50 yards.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Yes, I understand that but I think it will work for beaver shots (can I say that?) which will probably be under 50 yards.
    I started with a digital scope like the Sightmark (i had the ATN version) many years ago before i switched to thermal, and they do an ok job out to about 100-150 yards. It would definitely work as a budget friendly option for your beaver problem, although i suggest upgrading the IR light to something better than the stock light (something like this https://predatortactics.us/coyote-re...lashlight-kit/)

If you really want to have a lot of fun hunting at night, you can get into some pretty good thermal scopes for around $2,500-$3,000, from companies like Bering Optics, AGM, IRay, Pulsar, Rix, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12