Thread: Riley Defense AK - 1st Impression

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Riley Defense AK - 1st Impression

Selling my Arsenal SLR 107 a couple years ago ranks as one of three of my greatest firearms mistakes. The 1st, selling my first gun, a SIG P228, the 2nd, letting go a VEPR 12 shotgun.

I sold the SLR for way more than I paid, as when the Russian ammo ban happened, Arsenals skyrocketed in price, as did the ammo, and I saw little need to keep it around. I mean, why buy 7.62 for the price of .223?

Anyway, I’ve moved exclusively to pistons for my AR’s, and well, have been jonesing for another AK to add in the lineup.

Imports these days are stupid expensive. Not gonna pay over a thow for an AK. So, I began researching American AK’s. I quickly narrowed it down to three, the Riley, PSA and K-USA.

Every report I read on the K-USA 103 cited poor accuracy, so it was out. The owners of PSA Gen 5’s with the FN barrel raved about them but, as a complete rifle, around or over a thow. The barreled receiver kit was 699.99$ and I almost pushed the button on one, then I stumbled upon the Riley’s.

A lot of naysayers about them, but it was almost always a case of the critics not owning one and/or citing RD’s past of using cast trunnions - which was a mistake.

However, every review, written or video, since 2018ish about their AK’s praised them as workhorses - the time when RD started forging their trunnions, bolts and carriers. Also, more than few owners raving about the accuracy.

So, a complete rifle for 700$, with a good trigger and some nice features (extended mag release, bolt hold open safety), I took a chance.

The rifle arrived today and I am impressed. Everything is tight : safety, gas tube, gas tube latch, hand guard and latch. The barrel and front sight are straight as an arrow - no canting. The gun seems very solid.

My old Arsenal had a front sight that was so canted it took an 8 week trip back to the factory to fix. The finish on it was, well, underwhelming. The finish on the RD is uniform, looks good, but I can see it will wear quick like the Arsenal. I’ll likely add additional protection - alumahide or something.

No rounds through it yet. I have some add ons and work to get it in training shape that I’ll do this winter. I will update this thread as I put it through its paces. Having held or owned a lot of quality weapons, the rifle shows nothing on the surface that worries me.

Will post pics when I get to a computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrin; 04-07-24 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing how it performs.

Feedback Score
    I considered a Riley Defense AKM when I was looking for my first AKM two years ago. I ended up getting a PSA AK103 premium and am pleased with it. I would like to hear how it shoots once you get it out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some pics added...lil more than halfway through some upgrades. Have a case of ammo incoming to put it through it's paces.

It really does have a great stock trigger, won't be changing that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Put a 100rds through the Riley yesterday. Zero’d the irons for a 200 meter zero, did a CSAT carbine qual. to work the zero out from 7-100 yards. Accuracy was very good and passed the qual. 9/10 drills. This gun needs that new 2 stage AK trigger Geissele has come out with to really shine. Ammo used was Igman brass 123 grain.

Function was 100% - gun is not over gassed, empties were 10-15 ft away. In two weeks I’m going to work 500 rounds through it over 2 days and will post a more exhaustive report with pictures of groups. Just got the Aimpoint installed today.
    Last edited by Patrin; 01-27-24 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you - looking forward to your next range report.

Please let us know how you like the CNC Warrior folding stock also.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    100 more rounds today with the Aimpoint - getting zero’d, checking holds. Will get some pictures up of initial groups.

200 rounds total, perfect function. Everything is still tight, in fact the optic rail was so tight with the RS regulate Mount, a lil fine polishing had to be done. 500 rounds next week and update.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Update:

I know it's a late one, but round count on the Riley is now 700. It's been fired in the rain, the snow, the freezing cold and has run without issue. Zero malfunctions of any kind, still throwing empties at around 10-15 feet. Ammo used thus far has been Igman brass and Wolf steel. Can ring steel with the red dot reliably at 200 and 300 yards.

I'll update again when I get to around 1500-2000ish...

From a recent CSAT Qual. and run & gun / 7-100 yards:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrin; 04-07-24 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Better late than never - thanks for the update. It SEEMS that the Riley Krink is doing pretty well, so maybe these folks are on the way up. More reports welcome.