Thread: 30-30 Winchester 94 question

Feedback Score

30-30 Winchester 94 question

Just got it, never fired, made in 1969 per the online serial number database (#3266XXX). I've never owned one before, but the trigger seems kind of "floppy" or loose, even when cocked. Is that normal?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Not normal, my early 70's mod.94 has no noticeable slop, either front to back or side to side.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve got a Winchester 94 made in 1974 and it has one of the crispest triggers of any gun I own- no slop and very clean break.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Buddy of mine is a gunsmith and he said they don't have a trigger return spring so that was to be expected. I'm gonna have him take a look at it since what I'm hearing here runs counter to what he told me.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Once you get it sorted I think you will enjoy shooting it. It is just a nice, light, easy handling carbine and fairly accurate, too. If I had to carry a non-semi auto carbine this would be it, hands down.
    Last edited by flenna; 12-29-23 at 20:00.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Once you get it sorted I think you will enjoy shooting it. It is just a nice, light, easy handling carbine and fairly accurate, too. If I had to carry a non-semi auto carbine this would be it, hands down.
    When I was first commissioned, Sergeants carried Winchester ‘94 .30-30 Carbines. They were replaced by Colt AR-15’s but those old ‘94’s would do the job (in fact, I never heard of a case where an AR-15 made the difference). One of my truck guns is a little Winchester ‘94 Trapper .30-30 Carbine (the other being a Colt 6520).

Feedback Score
    If domestic evil forces become ascendant enough to make "assault rifles" verboten in private hands the non-tacticool, wood stocked saddle rifle could the thing we have to make work and make do with. Cherish them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine is about ten years older than yours. Be sure to check all the receiver screws, they can get lose over time. Without seeing it it’s hard to say what’s up with your trigger, but the other thing worth checking is all your springs. The ejector spring is high on my list, mainly because when it gets weak you might start kicking empties right in to your nose.

I love the platform. My eyesight is getting to the point where the sights are my biggest limitation with them, but they can be swapped with Williams receiver sights. If you aren’t shooting more than 100 yards it isn’t an issue, and probably wouldn’t be an issue with more practice.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Maybe someone put a Marlin trigger in your Winnie

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Jeff Cooper called the m94 in .30/30 the ideal patrol carbine, back when all you saw in squad cars were 12 ga. Pump Guns.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.