Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P226 .40 Cal

Feedback Score

Sig P226 .40 Cal

So I inherited a P226 .357 Sig barrel and a metric shit ton of .357 Sig ammo. I have no host gun currently. But I’m seeing a lot of .40 S&W P226 guns in my area for sale. At really cheap prices. I’ve got a guy holding one for me….LNIB for $500….comes with 500 assorted rounds of ammo. This isn’t a police trade in or one with the DAK system. I’m seeing prices as low as $350 for guns with some wear. Has .40 S&W become so unpopular that people can’t sell these pistols? Or was the market so flooded by police trade ins that prices dropped? Or does the P226 not perform well in .40?

I just want to make sure I’m not missing something before I buy. I can always sell the .357 Sig barrel and ammo and move on if there are known problems.

Appreciate any insight!

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    @SteyrAUG will want to jump in here, but as I recall the Sig p22x was originally used for 45 ACP. .40 will be no issue. I've owned several Sigs in 357Sig and they've all been flawless.

Based on the kind of deal you're getting, with the various ammo and barrel, I'd say it's a good deal. Even though I'm consolidating calibers and platforms, I would jump all over it personally.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Has .40 S&W become so unpopular that people can’t sell these pistols?
    Yes. That said, it's still a more effective cartridge than 9mm, so there's no reason to avoid it. Back after 40S&W came out in the early '90's, the federal AWB went into effect. If you could only have 10rds, why not 10rds of a more effective cartridge. Since the AWB sunseted, that logic is gone (unless you live behind the lines) and the difference in effectiveness between 40S&W and 9mm has decreased (though 40S&W is still more effective). The cost difference between the two cartridges also enters the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    @SteyrAUG will want to jump in here, but as I recall the Sig p22x was originally used for 45 ACP. .40 will be no issue. I've owned several Sigs in 357Sig and they've all been flawless.
    I believe the 220 was originally setup for 45ACP and the 226 was originally setup for 9mm.
    Last edited by Bret; 01-10-24 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Tragically the Vaginization of the shooting world has placed most pistol shooters in the 9mm/Womens division.

(but it's all about shot placement!)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Has .40 S&W become so unpopular that people can’t sell these pistols? Or was the market so flooded by police trade ins that prices dropped?
    Yes...Both.

The P226 is a good gun and I still like 40. However, if I were in your position, I think I'd just sell the 357 Sig ammo and call it a day. You could get around a $1/rd for it fairly easily...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have 3 p226's. One of them is a 40 that I also have a 357 Sig and 9mm barrel for. She purs like a kitten running 40. In a gun this size, the increased recoil is barely noticeable.

Almost every gun I have bought in the last year has been a 40 because they are giving them away.

For the longest time, I was a 9mm only guy. I couldn't afford to stock multiple calibers. I told myself 9mm was just as good, and that the recoil was not worth it on the 40. Now that I have spent more time with them, I do think it has an edge on 9mm. I also think recoil is very manageable as long as you are not running it in a mouse gun.

I now have a G22, P226, p30, and P2000 in 40. I got the p2000 for 500 new, plus it had a rebate for 4 free mags. I purchased a bunch of police trade in ammo for less then 9mm.

The trend right now are tiny light weight guns with high capacity. I think the pendulum will swing back eventually. 10mm is making a come back.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jesuvuah; 01-10-24 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Or was the market so flooded by police trade ins that prices dropped?
    Or does the P226 not perform well in .40?
    Basically, yes.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I’m just so used to seeing retail on the plain old P226 being at least $900 that it caught me a little off guard.

This is the exact pistol I think I’m going to pick up. You guys are just confirming there isn’t any reason not to.

Really appreciate the feedback.

Feedback Score
    Gotta say…..this thing is sweet. I’m diggin’ the E2 grips. I’m gonna see how it carries after I get it out and shoot it. Gotta see which I shoot better…..357 Sig or .40.

Feedback Score
    Gotta see which I shoot better…..357 Sig or .40.
    Make sure you have effective hearing protection. 357-SIG is a bit feisty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast