Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit hunting gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Rabbit hunting gun.

Went rabbit hunting today for the first time. I left the 1301 home because I didn’t feel making a plug for it and opted for my Dad’s old O/U skeet 12ga. We are walking through thick brambles and blackberry thorn patches that you have to hack sections with a machete at times and ruined a pair of blue jeans to give you an idea of what the area looks like in places.

He comes the issue…. The OU is just too long to maneuver in that thick of brush. I missed one simply because I couldn’t raise my muzzle fast enough from briers holding it down.

One buddy had a 870 youth in 20ga and another had a short SXS in 20ga and my son had a crack barrel single shot in 20ga.

Of those 3, I think the youth 870 in 20ga was about perfect. I have another friend that swears by his judge running .410 for rabbits.

Any of you have thoughts on the best gun for this type of hunting? The old O/U surely is not optimal.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Are you planning on eating them after you shoot them?

A light handy 20 gauge is a joy in the field. Growing up I had access to an Ithaca 20-gauge semi-auto. It was wonderful for quail and rabbits. Maybe you could find one used?

I think you could likely find a used youth 870 on Gunbroker if you were not impatient.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Every rabbit taken will have a date with the crock pot. I didn’t take a few shots today because I felt I was too close and the modified and full choke on the 12ga would just waste the meat. I would wait for them to pause and go for head shots on close ones if possible.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My rabbit gun is an ancient H&R 16ga single shot with a four digit serial number. The drop at the comb makes it point naturally at the ground, right about where most of the rabbits I’ve jumped are when it hits my shoulder. I’ve had many shotguns over the years but when it comes to bunny hunting, nothing I or any of my friends and family have are quicker or surer.

On my belt I wear a Colt Woodsman in a crossdraw holster, so I can reach it inside my jacket quickly and smoothly. That’s my backup if I need to finish one off or catch one sitting.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve used an old L. C. Smith 20 ga SXS with 26” barrels, choked Skeet and Mod on Rabbits and Quail.
    It’s quick.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Duplicate
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-14-24 at 11:36.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Jump shooting rabbits is hard, gotta be quick, don't need a lot of choke. A Cousin I hunted with years ago was great at spotting then sitting & head shooting them. I never had that talent. Bring a couple of good rabbit dogs into the mix & you'll have great thrills !!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Might hit a pawn shop and see what they have to offer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 11-87 youth 20ga has been good for quail hunting in thicker brush for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Rabbit hunting gun.

An 18” barrel shotgun would work well. Your Beretta 1301 would work well.
    Last edited by 202; 01-15-24 at 16:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast