Thread: P226 Caliber Conversion

Feedback Score

P226 Caliber Conversion

Starting a new thread….but this is related to the thread on the new P226 I acquired in .40 S&W.

I thought that in order to convert it to 9mm I would need a 9mm slide and factory barrel OR at minimum a conversion barrel. New springs and mags are a given of course. But I’m reading all kinds of posts on other forums of guys just dropping in a factory 9mm barrel or a Silencerco threaded barrel and hitting the range. That doesn’t sound right. Doesn’t the slide for the .40/.357 P226 have different dimensions and weight? It might run with just a factory barrel but I’d think that wouldn’t be good for the gun long term or give accuracy problems and reliability issues.

Can any of you guys with more experience with this platform weigh in?

Appreciate it in advance!

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The slide is heavier. I would run a 9mm recoil spring. The barrel diameter is the same on the p226, but the breech face is just slightly smaller in the 9mm barrel. This could effect accuracy a little, but it doesn't seem to. I have shot probably 500 round of 9mm through my 40 p226 with a stock 9mm barrel. I don't really do it anymore because I now have 2 9mm p226's.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know, it's not what you're asking, and I know that there is a certain appeal in being able to shoot multiple calibers from a single pistol. However, with the purchase of a 9mm barrel and mags, you're well on your way to the purchase of a complete pistol. Why not save up a bit more and just buy a complete pistol in 9mm instead?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I know, it's not what you're asking, and I know that there is a certain appeal in being able to shoot multiple calibers from a single pistol. However, with the purchase of a 9mm barrel and mags, you're well on your way to the purchase of a complete pistol. Why not save up a bit more and just buy a complete pistol in 9mm instead?
    Not a bad idea…..I’ve certainly heard great things about the 226 Legion. Gives me a good excuse to pick one up. The Grabagun storefront is maybe a mile from my house. It’s a dangerous thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    Not a bad idea…..I’ve certainly heard great things about the 226 Legion. Gives me a good excuse to pick one up. The Grabagun storefront is maybe a mile from my house. It’s a dangerous thing.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go shoot one at a local range first. If you haven't already. And then decide if it's worth the extra coin to get a whole gun, or if it's even worth buying the barrel and mags. If you do buy mags BTW, don't even bother with the OE mags, just get the Mec-Gar 18 rounders. They hold more, cost less, and work better, with the added bonus of being Sig's OEM for mags when Sig mags were better.

ETA: I love me some P226 Legion. I have an SAO, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if it were lost or stollen.
    Last edited by georgeib; 01-16-24 at 19:36.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wasn't able to locate a Sig conversion barrel for sale anywhere but Bar-Stos are available for $250.

In case you like SAOs, Battle Hawk Armory just increased the price of their non-optic ready Legion SAO all the way to $999. I received one a few days ago, and it's pretty freaking sweet.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I had a 228 many years ago that was set up that way. It was a 40 but had a pair of conversion barrels in 9mm and .357 Sig. They took different recoil springs as well. The 40 and 357 took the same mags.

I sold it because I pretty much switched completely to 9mm, and 40/357 Sig are no longer relevant as a self-defense caliber.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I had a 228 many years ago that was set up that way. It was a 40 but had a pair of conversion barrels in 9mm and .357 Sig. They took different recoil springs as well. The 40 and 357 took the same mags.

I sold it because I pretty much switched completely to 9mm, and 40/357 Sig are no longer relevant as a self-defense caliber.
    I’m an Sig nerd so this is interesting to me. Are you sure if was a P228 slide? P228s have the rolled sheet metal slide with a breech block, and were set up as 9mm only. The P229 was designed to be a .357 SIG/.40 pistol and has a different slide design for the higher pressure cartridges, and is ultimately the reason Sig moved away from the P228 because if didn’t make sense to build 2 different compact guns since the P229 can run 9mm just fine. A lot of old school Sig fans lament that because the P228 was a little lighter and some say it’s got a better feel. I have basically consolidated to 9mm as my main caliber, but I used to carry a P229 and I felt despite the higher bore axis it handled 357 Sig far better than Glocks.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I’m an Sig nerd so this is interesting to me. Are you sure if was a P228 slide? P228s have the rolled sheet metal slide with a breech block, and were set up as 9mm only. The P229 was designed to be a .357 SIG/.40 pistol and has a different slide design for the higher pressure cartridges, and is ultimately the reason Sig moved away from the P228 because if didn’t make sense to build 2 different compact guns since the P229 can run 9mm just fine. A lot of old school Sig fans lament that because the P228 was a little lighter and some say it’s got a better feel. I have basically consolidated to 9mm as my main caliber, but I used to carry a P229 and I felt despite the higher bore axis it handled 357 Sig far better than Glocks.
    Yup, you are right. It was 25 years ago, and I have only had one cup of coffee today. Thanks for the correct info.

I still have an old "Made in West Germany" 226 that i love. Never going to get rid of that. Too many memories.

It's big, ugly and efficient - just like me.