Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Smith/Lipsey's ultimate carry J-frame

I am extremely excited about this. This is exactly the pocket gun I have wanted for 20 years. They took all good stuff about the 650 Pro but put it on a .38 airweight. Plus it has a better trigger and some modifications to increase durability. I will buy at least one.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I am going to snatch up 3 of these up as soon as Bo gets them in. Thanks for the heads up on these models!

Feedback Score
    If these have a useable trigger weight I will grab one.
    The older I get the less useable a 12# trigger is for me.
    I like the sights and cylinder mods he described. Odds are the grips will get replaced so I'm not real concerned about those.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been looking to add a Jframe for my fanny pack jogging setup. Now I will wait until these release
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I had decided to get an LCR .38 to my .327 LCR company but I'm interested in this J-frame.

But which caliber? I reload both.

I prefer to carry an over pressure. 32 mag, which is safe in my .327 Fed.

Hot .32 mag (100 gr bullet @950 fps) or a moderate .38 spl to reduce recoil. (125 gr @ 850 fps or 158 gr @ 750 fps)?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Darryl and Bryan are friends, and helped design this. It's been in the works for a while. Street price should be around 700 bucks.

I have been carrying Scandium J-frames for a while. I am honestly glad they did not go that route to keep the cost down. Plus, shooting a 342 is absolutely brutal on your hands.

The 38 has the advantage of much cheaper ammo costs, plus you can literally buy it anywhere on earth.

I have an LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. The recoil is an powerful with that round, as my 342 is with 38 Special standard velocity Gold Dots. So I never shoot it with that round. I carry it with a Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Magnum round. It's a lot milder.

For practice, S&B makes a 90-ish grain wadcutter that is pretty mild and accurate. It feels roughly the same as a .22 Magnum revolver.

If you do not have a ,.38 J-frame, I'd snag it. If you already have an airweight J-frame for carry and a steel one for practice, I'd snag the .32 H&R.

Having said that, I've ordered both. Because I'm like that, and already have a supply of .32 revolver chow.

Your milage may vary. But the pre-release prototypes shot really well, and have excellent sights. Plus I love those VZ grips almost as much as the old CT grips for a pocket J-frame.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I had decided to get an LCR .38 to my .327 LCR company but I'm interested in this J-frame.

But which caliber? I reload both.

I prefer to carry an over pressure. 32 mag, which is safe in my .327 Fed.

Hot .32 mag (100 gr bullet @950 fps) or a moderate .38 spl to reduce recoil. (125 gr @ 850 fps or 158 gr @ 750 fps)?
    Man, that is a great spot to be in. I agree with you on that load, it sounds very controllable and still capable of getting you to 14" inches in gel.

I would have done this a long time ago, but the .32 H&R Magnum J-frames (all five of them ever made - sigh) go for north of $1800 on Gunbroker.

Is there a specific bullet you load? And I am guessing you are sticking with the old reliable Bullseye as a powder?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I have been looking to add a Jframe for my fanny pack jogging setup. Now I will wait until these release
    I just got one of these:

https://www.thewilderness.com/waist-...er-waist-pack/

It is superb. It's replacing my old and much beloved Eagle Industries gun pack.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Man, that is a great spot to be in. I agree with you on that load, it sounds very controllable and still capable of getting you to 14" inches in gel.

I would have done this a long time ago, but the .32 H&R Magnum J-frames (all five of them ever made - sigh) go for north of $1800 on Gunbroker.

Is there a specific bullet you load? And I am guessing you are sticking with the old reliable Bullseye as a powder?
    100 gr SWC's. 3.5 gr 700X. Eventually I work up a load with Tightgroup. Average was about 965 fps from my 1.9 in LCR. I tried slower powders but they produced alot more recoil and blast for a similar velocity. I would NOT use this load in anything but a .327 fed mag gun.

I'm not aware of a factory .32 mag load that can expand and penetrate from a snub. .32 mag and .380 are pretty similar ballistically.

Can the S&W .32 mag J handle a moderate number of .32 ag "+P" loads? I don't know. I wouldn't think they'd be any harder on the gun than a .38 +P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Darryl and Bryan and friends, and helped design this. It's been in the works for a while. Street price should be around 700 bucks.

I have been carrying Scandium J-frames for a while. I am honestly glad they did not go that route to keep the cost down. Plus, shooting a 342 is absolutely brutal on your hands.

The 38 has the advantage of much cheaper ammo costs, plus you can literally buy it anywhere on earth.

I have an LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. The recoil is an powerful with that round, as my 342 is with 38 Special standard velocity Gold Dots. So I never shoot it with that round. I carry it with a Buffalo Bore 32 H&R Magnum round. It's a lot milder.

For practice, S&B makes a 90-ish grain wadcutter that is pretty mild and accurate. It feels roughly the same as a .22 Magnum revolver.

If you do not have a ,.38 J-frame, I'd snag it. If you already have an airweight J-frame for carry and a steel one for practice, I'd snag the .32 H&R.

Having said that, I've ordered both. Because I'm like that, and already have a supply of .32 revolver chow.

Your milage may vary. But the pre-release prototypes shot really well, and have excellent sights. Plus I love those VZ grips almost as much as the old CT grips for a pocket J-frame.

Hope that helps.
    Yes, I have some of those 115 gr (IIRC) Gold Dots in .327. Too much! Sticky ejection, offensive recoil, obviously so loud I'd never subject my ears to it even in SD.

I had two LCR .357's. My wife got tired of .38 recoil and I stretched one with too many +P and .357 loads. This was before I reloaded.

We got two .327 LCR's to replace them.

I can say Federal .327 "Low Recoil" 85 gr Hydrashok is NOT too heavy in recoil or sound. But they may be short on penetration, are expensive, and rare. Consider them.

I've also read the Federal 85 gr JSP's are a reduced load that splits the difference between .32 mag & .327. I'd like to try them. But they are about $40 / 50. I can load new 100 gr SWC for half that and reload the same for practice for about $10 / 50.

Reloading is worth it for about every pistol cartridge except 9x19. (At least today!) .380 and.40 are debatable depending on how much you plan to fire. Everything else is worth it if you shoot regularly. Stock ammo or stock primers, but stock something if you want to keep shooting during the next run.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast