Thread: Dan Wesson front sights

Feedback Score

Dan Wesson front sights

I am wanting to update the front sights on 3 1911s. They are all Dan Wessons which the factory has confirmed have the Springfield front sight cut with the Novak low rear sight cut. (dated 2010, 2011, 2013) For new guns with night sights I prefer to leave the rear black. I also have that arrangement with a fiber front sight, though I have broken the rod before.

First is a 45 CCO that sees daily carry. The tritium is dim. Do I have the vial replaced or change the sight? The only easy button for replacement with night sights seems to be Dawson. Do I leave the factory rear 2 dot, or update to a blacked out version? Would FO be a valid choice?

Next is a 9 Commander set up like the CCO. Mostly range toy. Same questions as the CCO.

It's tempting to try and duplicate the sights on my 10mm commander which I really like, though it has Novak front and rear so exact copies aren't possible. It has a wider front (+.010) and rear (+.020). The front is green which doesn't seem to be an option from Dawson.

Last is a 5" 10mm. Want to replace the black front sight with either FO or NS, still undecided which. Mostly a hunting pistol.

I recently retired and delayed projects are getting attention. It also means my eyes are getting tired, so better sights are needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am slowly switching about half of my carry guns to Dawson red fiber optic front and blacked out rear for non red dot guns. The guns that have red dots mostly have an Ameriglo orange ringed front night sight with blacked out rear. I found out that I am more accurate with a fiber optic or red dot.

Me being over 50, both set ups work for me. Daily EDC is a Glock 19.5 MOS with a Hills in 507 and Ameriglo sights.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I ordered Ameriglo tritium sights from the Dan Wesson website for my V-Bob. They are a drop-in (relative term) replacement. The only difference is the rear site is has two vials instead of the old single.
    Last edited by Joelski; 03-25-24 at 16:49.