View Poll Results: Do you prefer the low or high battery compartment?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low. Why?

7 100.00%
  • High. Why?

0 0%

Thread: Aimpoint low battery compartment vs high battery compartment

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Aimpoint low battery compartment vs high battery compartment

The CompM4s and CompM5s have a low battery compartment while the CompM4 and CompM5 have a high battery compartment. Since Aimpoint offers both I can only assume there is reason and that each has Pros and Cons, so what are they?

All my Aimpoints are the Micro versions so I’m in the dark here. Which do you prefer and why?
    Last edited by titsonritz; 01-25-24 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The low position puts the tube down where it's not as overtly visible, while using the sight. It's still easily accessed with my right hand, so I don't see any downsides. If I were a lefty, I might have a different opinion, since the higher position might make it more accessible with my left hand.

I haven't bought an M5, but when I do, it'll also have a low mounted battery compartment.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-25-24 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    I have one comp M4s and 2 comp M5 with high battery compartment, makes absolutely no difference to me at all, I look through them not at them. They stay on all the time, I put fresh batteries in every January, cause I can afford three lithium batteries.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I feel the low blocks less of your view if you are scanning outside the scope, probably not a huge issue but still a plus with no downside IMO. But I can see the point made about the high being better for left handers is valid.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-26-24 at 09:56.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Should be pics of both posted for those of use who own neither model. I do like the top battery on my Comp M3 and Comp C3 for the reason that my support (left) hand can adjust it without breaking my master grip. But I don't like the top mount because it's easier to bump the setting out of place. I wrap a ranger band on the setting knob to keep it from moving.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I only own the Aimpoint micros and a Duty RDS, but I do remember when I was considering one of the M5 variants that mount height was slightly different between the lower vs higher battery compartment models. Not much of an issue now, since I think most brands started offering the usual height mounts for the low battery compartment models. But there was a time when you had to factor in a little extra height on any given mount with an M4s, M5s, etc

Feedback Score
    When I purchased my M5 Aimpoints the s model was only available with an Aimpoint mount. Not for sale without the mount, which is why mine have the high battery compartment. Not sure if they are now letting them go without the mount. Mine are on GDI osm6 mounts.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    The s models are also supposed to protect the tube and knob more, which is the weak point on those models supposedly. Although my m68 took some abuse my first tour and never failed me. I run an h2 now love it especially on a lw rifle set up
    Last edited by Baldness; 03-08-24 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    The choice between a low and high battery compartment in Aimpoint models like the CompM4s/M5s and CompM4/M5 often comes down to personal preference and specific use cases.

The low battery compartment models, like the CompM4s and CompM5s, offer a slightly less obstructed view above the optic, which can be beneficial for maintaining situational awareness and peripheral vision. They're also a bit more discreet and can be easier to access with the right hand.

On the other hand, the high battery compartment models, such as the CompM4 and CompM5, are often preferred when using magnifiers or night vision devices. The higher position makes it easier to adjust the dot brightness without obstruction.

In terms of durability, some owners feel that the switch is a bit more sheltered on the low battery compartment models, potentially reducing the risk of accidental adjustments or damage.

So both designs are there to cater to different preferences. If you prefer a cleaner sight picture and don't plan on using additional optics, the low battery compartment might be the way to go. If you're using magnifiers or want easier access to the brightness control, consider the high battery compartment.