Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical "social" Shotguns for a rural home owner and as a travel gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tactical "social" Shotguns for a rural home owner and as a travel gun?

I have a KAC SR-25 ACC (Advance Combat Carbine) and SR-15 LPR (Kreiger barreled SPR'ish rifle) but, I travel a good deal these days by car so, I'm rethinking my primary long gun. Inside my house in rural Texas, I'm not bound by any rules other than survival if bad people decide they want to harm me or those I love and care about. I also cannot see a good likely "self-defense" argument beyond ranges that I could shoot slugs at. But, I don't want this to devolve into a tactics or political discussion.

I have an older Gunsite 11-87 shotgun built-up by Ted Yost when he was 'the gunsmith' there. It is still serviceable but, it needs to fall into a backup role as I look at modern options.

• The Benelli M-4 has been the social media and video gamer darling for a long time. I'm not sure though that I really need a dual-action pump/semi-auto shotgun to shoot bean bags, door-breaching rounds, and tactical loads from the same shotgun in one string of fire. Weight and complexity seem to come with this option.
    • The new Beretta 1301 Mod 2 debuted at Shot recently seems like a top contender but, its $1900 MSRP is up there pretty high. Maybe the Beretta Patrol is a better option?
    • Then there is the Mossberg 940 Thunder Ranch or similar editions to consider.

I am planning on going to the Gunsite Shotgun class or possibly something similar from a similarly skilled professional training facility to refresh my skills in general and get into a modern Tactical Shotgun mindset.

So, with these thoughts in mind:
    • Benelli M-4
    • Beretta 1301 Mod 2
    • Beretta Patrol
    • Mosberg 940 Thunder Ranch
    • something else?

What would you get and why? What are the pros and cons of these models for this type of use? What else should I consider like a Saiga (bad for the East and West Coast) or maybe a pump shotgun?

TIA,
    Sid
    Last edited by Sid Post; 01-29-24 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I have experience with none so take that into effect. However, I’ve kept an eye on the 1301 for a while once I saw people recommending it over the M4 because I’ve always planned on getting a semi auto shotgun at some point.

The updated 1301 has reinvigorated some of the discussion and I continue to see people recommend it over the M4. On another forum, someone posted three or four Benellis, to include an M4 variant or two, and then the 1301 all laid out. The beretta was obviously smaller and is always reported to be lighter. I’ve also seen a lot of people say that it’s less finicky with light loads so it’s more reliable.

Long story short, based on what I’ve seen other say for a few years now, 1301 all day.

All that said, I’ve been debating the same recently because of storage options in my jeep. I think I can stage something without a pistol grip and detachable mag in an ideal spot, so that has me shopping but I keep wondering about a lever gun for that role. I don’t have a reason for it other than I wouldn’t want to use shot that spreads in a defensive setting, but slugs negates that so I’m not sure why else I’d consider a lever gun vs a semi auto shotgun but I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The M4 is not semi/pump. That's the M3.

Either the M4 or 1301 would be good choices.

There was a recent thread that discussed the M4 and 1301 at length.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If weight is a consideration, get the 1301. If not, the M4, also realize the weight also helps with felt recoil.

I own several Beretta shotguns and the M4. It is very hard to do better than Beretta in the SG market. Benelli is the closest competition and they own Benelli as well as several other brands.

Don't use video games to make your decisions.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I love my 1301, it is an awesome beast. The last class I attended was a Steve Fisher low light shotgun class with it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...83#post3061483

A while back I traded a few PMs with @LowSpeed_HighDrag on how I set mine up, his is pictured on the following page.

ETA:
    Anyone interested in purchasing a 1301 should spend some time checking out this definitive thread on pistol-forums. There is probably no better source of excellent information including plenty from SMEs on the 1301 and shotguns in general.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-1301-Tactical
    Last edited by titsonritz; 01-30-24 at 03:10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The M4 and 1301 are over priced, the Patrol or 940 are GTG.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    The M4 and 1301 are over priced, the Patrol or 940 are GTG.
    The 940 Pro seems like a solid value. I'll get called names for it, but the Remington V3 Tac-13 appeals to me for HD/SD.

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think the 1301 or M4 are both worth the money. The newer 1301s are amazing and completely done---just add flashlight and velcro side-saddle. The M4 is probably a more durable gun, especially if you are going to be shooting a S-load of rounds, but it will require some creativity. I personally run an M4 as my bump in the night gun but I had to cut the stock down and add a light mount. I have more energy than most for such projects so I recommend the 1301 for most folks.

IMG_8720.jpeg
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I have a KAC SR-25 ACC (Advance Combat Carbine) and SR-15 LPR (Kreiger barreled SPR'ish rifle) but, I travel a good deal these days by car so, I'm rethinking my primary long gun. Inside my house in rural Texas, I'm not bound by any rules other than survival if bad people decide they want to harm me or those I love and care about. I also cannot see a good likely "self-defense" argument beyond ranges that I could shoot slugs at. But, I don't want this to devolve into a tactics or political discussion.

I have an older Gunsite 11-87 shotgun built-up by Ted Yost when he was 'the gunsmith' there. It is still serviceable but, it needs to fall into a backup role as I look at modern options.

• The Benelli M-4 has been the social media and video gamer darling for a long time. I'm not sure though that I really need a dual-action pump/semi-auto shotgun to shoot bean bags, door-breaching rounds, and tactical loads from the same shotgun in one string of fire. Weight and complexity seem to come with this option.
    • The new Beretta 1301 Mod 2 debuted at Shot recently seems like a top contender but, its $1900 MSRP is up there pretty high. Maybe the Beretta Patrol is a better option?
    • Then there is the Mossberg 940 Thunder Ranch or similar editions to consider.

I am planning on going to the Gunsite Shotgun class or possibly something similar from a similarly skilled professional training facility to refresh my skills in general and get into a modern Tactical Shotgun mindset.

So, with these thoughts in mind:
    • Benelli M-4
    • Beretta 1301 Mod 2
    • Beretta Patrol
    • Mosberg 940 Thunder Ranch
    • something else?

What would you get and why? What are the pros and cons of these models for this type of use? What else should I consider like a Saiga (bad for the East and West Coast) or maybe a pump shotgun?

TIA,
    Sid
    In my experience the 940 gets slept on quite a bit. I have the Miculek model and it's very fast. I think I paid less than $500 for it.

Of your other options, I have a few thousand rounds on the M4 and it's heavier than it needs to be, built like a tank and reliable as hell. It will easily be the most expensive one on your list too, but it's worth the price for durability and reliability.

I have less rounds on the 1301 (mod 1) but I think even though it's lighter it seems to shoot softer. That gas system is phenomenal. The Langdon version is incredible, and puts you about where you'll get an M4 for. Both the M4 and 1301 are worth the money IMO

For a truck gun, travel weapon though, that A300 ultima patrol might be the best of the box for cost, weight, function and reliability. I have one on order to try out (maybe for 3-gun) but it's incredibly nice.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The 940 Pro seems like a solid value. I'll get called names for it, but the Remington V3 Tac-13 appeals to me for HD/SD.

I may purchase one just because it's a cool little weapon ! At 5+1, not a bad hiking / car gun; something just "to have" , merely for the 'coolness' factor :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast