Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Overall 556 Can

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I've got a Flow 556k in jail, after doing the typical online research and only having experience with my personal Dead Air Sandman (men?) S and K with 556 endcaps. For me, it came down to Huxwrx Flow 556k or Surefire RC3. Gas blowback was a primary consideration for me as a lefty shooter. Rooftop Defense and Big Tex Ordnance has some informative videos to help make your own conclusions. The flow-through cans were designed with added requirement of minimizing effect on rifles that must function with or without a suppressor. If that wasn't a requirement, I think flow-through wouldn't be as much of a consideration.

Flow 556k Pros: lightweight (13 oz), short, lowest back pressure, simple attachment.
    Flow 556k Cons: more flash, not best performing muzzle devices, 2500-round cleaning schedule for long life.

RC2 Pros: durable, durable, durable, great track record and manufacturer, best signature reduction, great performing muzzle devices.
    RC2 Cons: heavy (17 oz), more complex locking mechanism may carbon lock, high back pressure.

RC3 Pros: See RC2 above, except track record TBD and must use open-tine (3 or 4 prong) flash hider for best signature reduction.
    RC3 Cons: heavy (17 oz), more complex locking mechanism may carbon lock, price.

The reason I went with Flow 556k was for use on multiple rifles that are gas-sensitive like X95 and DI ARs not tuned for suppressed use. My Dead Airs go on PWS piston rifles that have adjustable gas blocks. If it were only for a rifle (SBR) tuned for heavy suppressed use, I think the RC2 is easily at the top.
    Lots of good points. The Flow 556k isn't as flashy as you might think, however. Here's a video comparing the RC2 to the Flow 556k at night. The night testing starts at 17:40. FWIW, I have heard that the RC3 doesn't perform nearly as well as the RC2 at night, nor in other metrics, other than being lower backpressure.

“You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    If I was looking for a new can, I would be looking long and hard at the new generation of 3d printed flow through cans. Off the top of my head, I would look at the PTR Vent 3, CAT WB, and HuxWrx Flow 556k. With probably a lean toward the Flow 556k. The all suppress and flow better than the RC3, are lighter, and in the case of the Flow 556k significantly shorter.
    Is that the modern equiv of the OSS HX-QD 556mm? That's what I ended up with after much research and asking, etc here and other places. It has lowest SPL at the shooters end (for protecting my hearing), least gas blowback issues (gas in face reduced, no reliability issues with SBR/PDW length ARs) full auto rated, minimal effects on POI, etc. Also appears to be very rugged.

Of less concern to me was weight (full stainless version is 17+ OZ), flash suppression (compared to others), effects on POI, noise at the other end, and cost. Also:

Last edited by WillBrink; 01-30-24 at 11:04.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve got my eye on the Griffin Dual-Lok 5 or HRT. Used one in a course recently and really liked it. Also looking at the Gate-Lok m4sd2. I own both types of compensators and use their blast deflectors already.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Is that the modern equiv of the OSS HX-QD 556mm? That's what I ended up with after much research and asking, etc here and other places. It has lowest SPL at the shooters end (for protecting my hearing), least gas blowback issues (gas in face reduced, no reliability issues with SBR/PDW length ARs) full auto rated, minimal effects on POI, etc. Also appears to be very rugged.

Of less concern to me was weight (full stainless version is 17+ OZ), flash suppression (compared to others), effects on POI, noise at the other end, and cost. Also:

Yeah, the Flow 556k is the latest version of their 5.56 can. It's not perfect, however. Though shorter and lighter than the HX-QD 556 can, and a hair quieter at the ear, it is also a hair louder at the muzzle. And is advertised as having a 10-20k life versus a 40k+ life of the HX-QD 556. IOW, it's probably not as rugged overall, but that's inference on my part.

As to the video, impressive, right? Another interesting point emphasized is that because the design is flow through, it has a direct effect on how dirty the weapon gets during higher volume of fire. And that this has a direct impact on weapon stoppages. A critical consideration for anyone going into harms way, I would think.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr4817 View Post
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve got my eye on the Griffin Dual-Lok 5 or HRT.
    Incredibly underrated cans. I have an HRT in jail now, myself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr4817 View Post
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve got my eye on the Griffin Dual-Lok 5 or HRT. Used one in a course recently and really liked it. Also looking at the Gate-Lok m4sd2. I own both types of compensators and use their blast deflectors already.
    These threads crack me up. I checked out on suppressors a few years ago and don't even recognize 90 percent of the brands and models discussed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    From my sample of one, I like my Huxworx 556K except I wish it didn't have the self-torquing jets on the front.

Sure they keep the can on the reverse-thread muzzle device / mount, but they also try to back the whole thing off the barrel.

Unless I get the locking nut (that the mount is seated against) welded my solution has been red loc-tite and don't get it hot enough to melt said loc-tite.

Basically 30 shots max (assuming a 10 deg temp rise per shot) and let it cool or spread out the shots.

This is on a newer 16-inch Mini-14. No gas blowback that I can detect.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-31-24 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    "Best" is a terribly subjective question, based entirely on the desires of the user/owner.
    There are several categories of performance that are at play when it comes to suppressor performance where one aspect will add/detract from others.
    The performance/physical attribute list includes:
    Durability/Lifespan
    Sound pressure reduction
    Flash
    First round flash/pop
    POI shift/POI shift consistency
    Backpressure
    Noxious/toxic gas exposure increase
    Weight
    Length
    Cost
    Availability

Some users, especially hobbyist/enthusiast customers, will prioritize overall SPL reduction while others will prioritize cost. Professional users will tend to prioritize flash, durability, and reduced exposure to toxic gas, with overall SPL below weight and length. Really it's down to what the user wants based on compromises. Much like the good/fast/cheap paradox, you can add more attributes by sacrificing Benjamins, but there are limits to even what that can get you, and a point of diminishing return.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Professional users will tend to prioritize flash, durability, and reduced exposure to toxic gas,
    It blows my mind that many shooters just seem to ignore the fact that a can is often pushing back deadly vapors into their eyes and face/nose/lungs. I avoid shooting suppressed ARs as much as I can, and will only shoot match bullets with no lead exposed bases. It's still a horrible toxic mess.

Guys should shoot a few rounds, pop open the action, drop the carrier and look down the barrel. The toxic cloud is so thick you can't see sunlight through the bore.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It blows my mind that many shooters just seem to ignore the fact that a can is often pushing back deadly vapors into their eyes and face/nose/lungs. I avoid shooting suppressed ARs as much as I can, and will only shoot match bullets with no lead exposed bases. It's still a horrible toxic mess.

Guys should shoot a few rounds, pop open the action, drop the carrier and look down the barrel. The toxic cloud is so thick you can't see sunlight through the bore.
    When shooting anything, if I find I'm in a smoke cloud, I don't breath. If it doesn't dissipate or get blown away I move out of it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast