Thread: Ruger American Gen 2

Feedback Score

Ruger American Gen 2

I have been wanting to get back into bolt action rifle shooting for a while now. I sold my last bolt action rifle a year ago, a Winchester 70 in 7MM Rem Mag. Since I don’t hunt anymore, and I don’t really want the kick from the bench.

I was thinking about a bunch of different calibers, but decided to start with a .223 due to cost, availability, and accuracy out to 300 yards. Also, this will be the rifle my grandson will jump to from a 22 long rifle. I’d been planning on a Ruger American for a while, and when the generation twos came out that sealed the deal. I ordered mine from Palmetto State Armory, and received it in less than a week to my, FFL. I picked it up today, and I have to say based on early impressions, it is much nicer than the earlier versions simply based on initial feel. I like the stock and the texture a lot. I like the heft and the balance. I know an optic may change that some, once I find the one I want. It’ll probably a $500 Vortex, just to get started. Mine is the standard version, with a 20 inch barrel. Barrel is threaded and has a compensator on the end. I like the bolt that has an adjustable knob that can be removed easily. I’m not sure if the Picatinny rails such a great idea, but it’s an easy button for a quick optic. Ceracoat seems decent. Really like the idea that it uses magpul AR magazines, and it came with a single 10 round magazine.

This is the rifle I bought. $679 delivered.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/46909.html

I probably won’t shoot it for a few weeks as I’m prepping for a trip next week, but I’ll respond when I get some rounds through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 02-03-24 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    This video helped push me over the edge and order it:

https://youtu.be/1s-LoJOZ6JY?si=PdqPW2Z0ZvKIECkF

It isn’t perfect. I could have gone with a Tikka, Savage, Mossberg, etc. But I do like Ruger’s and I’ve been happy with most every Ruger product I’ve bought.

Again, this is my foray back into bolt action shooting…and reloading bottle neck cartridges. This seems like a way to see if this is something I want to pursue without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a couple of Gen 1 Americans. They're good, serviceable, rifles. I got to handle a Gen 2 the other day, and it definitely felt like an improvement. The stock is a lot nicer, the action was smoother and didn't make that weird "zipping" sound when cycled, and on the whole, the entire rifle just felt more "put together" and less budget-tier than the Gen 1's.

I think you'll like it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Ruger American Gen 2

Congrats. Let us know how it shoots.
    Last edited by 202; 02-02-24 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I hope you and your grandson enjoy your Ruger American.

I have a Predator in 308 18". I run it suppressed. I really like it as a knock around, inexpensive, yet very effective rifle. I also chose a Vortex 4-12x50 scope with BDC reticle. I swapped in the AI magazine conversion kit, but you'll be set up well using the Magpuls.

I have plans to get some Anarchy upgrades to bolt, no real rush. But check them out and explore around the site for bolt upgrade options.

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruge...andle-upgrade/

and bolt fluting if you want to get really fancy

https://adarmscustomrifles.com/produ...luting-package

A friend of mine who has several Ruger Americans in different calibers says to do myself a favor and get a Timney Trigger. Also no real rush for me. I've measured my trigger setting at 4 lbs. 1 oz., it's pretty consistent and crisp to me. You do have to remember, it's not a $10,000 custom rifle.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score

Ruger American Gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I hope you and your grandson enjoy your Ruger American.

I have a Predator in 308 18". I run it suppressed. I really like it as a knock around, inexpensive, yet very effective rifle. I also chose a Vortex 4-12x50 scope with BDC reticle. I swapped in the AI magazine conversion kit, but you'll be set up well using the Magpuls.

I have plans to get some Anarchy upgrades to bolt, no real rush. But check them out and explore around the site for bolt upgrade options.

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruge...andle-upgrade/

and bolt fluting if you want to get really fancy

https://adarmscustomrifles.com/produ...luting-package

A friend of mine who has several Ruger Americans in different calibers says to do myself a favor and get a Timney Trigger. Also no real rush for me. I've measured my trigger setting at 4 lbs. 1 oz., it's pretty consistent and crisp to me. You do have to remember, it's not a $10,000 custom rifle.
    Agree…not a custom $$$K gun…I’m a frugal person. If I can get an accurate, reliable bolt setup for under $1200 for rifle, optic, etc., I will be excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Jo

Feedback Score
    I have two of the earlier ones, a Ranch in .300bo and a Predator in 6.5 Grendel. Both AR mag versions.
    At $420 & $440 each they were good value, the Predator did require a bit of smoothing on the feed ramp but I'd blame that on the steep shoulder of the Grendel cartridge.
    But when prices shot up I thought Ruger had stepped in it. Those rough edges I accepted for yesterday's prices were harder to overlook at over $600 msrp.
    Now Ruger appears to have stepped up and added more value to the Ranch/Predator line.